A tale of friends.

Everything you need to know about raiding with us, and a place to ask questions and talk boss strategies.
Kelodur
Rofficer

A tale of friends.

#1 Post by Kelodur » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:43 pm

As Deathwing crumbles down to his final demise, my hands are shaking, while I throw my arms to the air and let the most controlled shout of joy fill the room (the power of having a baby finally sleeping in the house).

It's hard to put in words what the human mind can do in a single moment. As I stand there, in front of the monitor, feeling immortal once again, my mind wanders to the path we followed to get there.

Approximately one year ago, I was quite sure I had just finished my last raid in World of Warcraft. I had spent the last months trying to be the best rofficer I could, having recently appointed to the role and wanting to prove I was worth of the trust of my friends. I had spent days organizing raids, writing tactics, worrying about signups, trying to understand what we were doing wrong, and basically not enjoying much of what we were doing cause of 1000 different reasons. I had seen my friends fighting among themselves, getting hurt, leaving the game with a bitter taste in their mouth. I tried to be the best person I could, and to get them all raiding together, and I failed. I actually did a last raid on March 3rd 2011, and that was it.

In the following months, the Renegades were mostly forumites for me. I enjoyed the company of my mates just like I've ever did, and while I wasn't playing WoW anymore (and actually spending most of my gaming time furiously clicking on my little zerglings), after a while I started itching for some quality time with them. And so the Fifa league and Halo nights were born, and both of them, while great fun, unfortunately ended too soon (I think I've played Halo Reach a grand total of one time, the night we played together and I actually ROCKED :D). I still want to complete that league however, even if I have yet to win a game, but aside from bribing him, I've already tried in all ways to get Troy to load Fifa and get his games done, so I don't think that will happen.

I don't remember the moment when the idea of a comeback raid filled my mind. I remember calling Beo and Sele, and asking if they were going to be in for that. I remember asking in the officer forums and seeing most people not wanting to come back. It's no secret that not having managed to get Tak back at the time was quite an hit for me, as I'm specially tied to our whisky fueled hunter. But, I decided to keep going for some reason, one of which was that I had to try it for Shin.

Yeah, Shin. The last (in chronological order) boss of the guild, the mate that we can all depend on, Mr. Lovalova, the father of the share the love philosophy. My first mentor in the guild, and probably the most optimistic person in the world. He was still playing, enjoying his time there, and the company of who was left. I was still feeling guilty about having left the guild, cause I felt like I've left him all alone. So I just owed him to give this crazy idea a try.

It took some weeks to get people ready for the raid. And there was a lot of "yes, I'll come", "I can't come anymore", "I'll come instead!" going on for quite a while, but on Nov 13th we finally got a team together and downed a new boss (poor ultranerfed Al'Akir), the first in 8 months. From the forums: Xian, Shindarak, Calais, Rubber, Kelodur, Natostanco, Selenya, Beouffur, Celellach, Jajah. That was the first team we had in a long time and guess what? It was an AWESOME night. Even if it took us a couple of hours to understand that all we needed to kill Al'Akir was a good dose of timewarp (yeah, Kor was there too. Probably subbed somebody, I can't find that in my records :D).

So AWESOME, that we had more people signing up. Coming to the next raid. And the next one. AND the next one. We were steadily progressing in Tier 11 content, clearing quite easily the bosses that we learned to hate one year before. With the reduced raid time we were getting more and more hungry, and we were finally enjoying the game again. Me and Shin understood each other perfectly and since the beginning we always agreed about everything. The guild raiding time became truly relaxed, and we were just making sure everything was as fun as it could be, and we tried our best to make sure everyone was getting his share of the fun.

TBH, we felt like we were living on borrowed time at that moment. SW:TOR was looming above us, and we were completing T11 content while T13 content was just released. And while people were probably quite ready to go to the Firelands, I felt that they deserved more. We had people that signed up at each raid without getting a single useful piece of loot to that point, and with T13 and LFR just released had we followed the route to Firelands we would have faced another month or so of no loot raids.

So I logged, /w Shin "I've got one of my crazy idea", he started sighing as he always does when I open with that line, and proposed him to skip T12 content entirely for the time being. We agreed once more, and on Dec 12th we finally mustered our team of Renegades and led them to Dragon Soul for our first 2 kills (we actually killed unnerfed Zon'Ozz with bad gear on our first night? Really?).

It took us 13 (or was that 12?) raid night to clear the content, which is not at all bad if you keep in mind that we extended the raid lock 3 times only. I could tell you a lot of memories I have of those night right now, but I'm sure you all have your memories, your lows and your highs so I won't mention them all here, but there is one I want to share with you, as this is quite telling. I remember discussing one night with Cel about me being too optimistic, and some guild members being too bad up to that point, and that we needed to step up. It was the first Ultraxion wipe night, our brick wall boss putting us into our place with a grand 30% left on his hp bar as we wiped to hard enrage. I thought Cel was being much too hard on people, as that was like our 4th or 5th night there, but probably he was right that we weren't on top of our game. What I loved, is that after that discussion, he rallied, came with us, stepped up even more, and stuck with us to the end, in pure Renegade style. And when we downed Ultraxion the first time, with people easily averaging 27k+ dps when on our first try we had like 21k dps average, I knew we had overcome whatever obstacle we had faced up to that point and we were back on track again. I knew I've spent a lot of time during those weeks studying my character (and Nato's, and even more), the encounters and so on, looking for ways to improve, and that was the most engaging activity I've done around Warcraft in a long time. My mixed haste / mastery build may not be as AWESOME as Rubber priesting, but those shields really helped with that big hits on Ultraxion and Zon'ozz. Well, til we discovered Munis had better cooldowns anyway :D. So, thank you Cel for that discussion. I still think you were wrong, but you acted greatly afterwards and you were a great inspiration for the time to come to get better, so, thank you, and keep pushing us to get better. Thank you, my friend.

Get back to that silently screaming man in front of a bright monitor in a dark room. The wall of text you've just read has passed through his mind now. And now, he's looking at the monitor, and seeing he's there, on the top of the world, together with friends. And that's what it counts: friends.

Cause all of this may have been the chance for me to get back from that failure and achieve something as a rofficer, but it's just you all that have actually done this. Every single renegade that has come to a raid, or supported us, or posted a message in the forums, has defeated Deathwing last night, and I'm so proud of you all for what we have achieved together. So let me thank you all DS raiders one by one, I hope I won't forget anybody, but I apologize if I do.

Thank you Shin, I know your crown is heavy, but I trust you with my gaming life, and I'll follow you wherever you'll take us.

Thank you Tak, you know already you made me an happy zergling by coming back, I hope we can share a whisky sooner or later.

Thank you Beo, for filling my ears in screams of pain and agony at every single mistake you spot.

Thank you Kor, for being able to make the most funny and witty remark at the right moment every single night.

Thank you Sanshi, for being able to make a quite funny and witty remark at the wrong moment every single night.

Thank you Luna, for constantly doing more and more dps, leading the melee team, all while never saying a single word.

Thank you Cylo, for having tanked for 13 nights while you would probably have wanted to bring a ranged dps, an healer, a melee dps, possibly all together at the same time.

Thank you Rubber, for having proved I suck by topping my hps at every. single. boss.

Thank you Nato, for having ignored most of the tactics of the whole raid, all while somewhat inexplicably killing all the bosses in Dragon Soul.

Thank you Cel, for having laughed at every single Beo's sister joke I've told during these raids. We're the only one left that found that funny probably, but still.

Thank you Jajah, for bringing some norse power to the raid, showing us that Norwegians don't just do old raids.

Thank you to whoever else has come to our DS raids or to our T11 and T12 raids. This kill is for you all. YAY US!

And now, if you forgive me, I must go prepare the tactics for Morchok heroic...
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

northwestdakota
Rofficer

Re: A tale of friends.

#2 Post by northwestdakota » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:12 pm

Nice post, as I said last night I thought you had no chance when you suggested T13 content, certainly not with SW:TOR arriving at the same time. But, I was wrong. You and Shin held the guild together and somehow the guild has killed Deathwing.

It has been great to be back, to be honest the raids I have attended since I have been back remind me of how raiding was in BC. I mean that, I really did not enjoy raiding last year and much of the year before. I think the differences are simple, reduced raiding hours mean we suffer a hell of a lot less from burnout, certain ex-raid members leaving making the raid a more pleasant environment and lastly a few of us have grown up (I very much include myself in that) While I think about there is 1 more slight improvement, the guild is providing flasks, food and free repairs. This sounds like nothing, but it means I don't have to divide my WoW game time up by doing things I like (shooting stuff) and doing things I don't like (spending hours making gold and gathering mats)

So, while we are all circlejerking..

Thanks to all the guild members who remind us that WoW does not revolve around raiding (Bimmers, Krisma etc)

The raid team, in particular Beo for having a fantastic attitude about me coming back to raid. Some raiders may have been concerned about their place in the raid team; Beo gave me lots of advice and tips and passed on loot in a bid to help me gear up. This for me is what the guild stands for, Beo just wanted to help me out. Other players with a hunter may have actually done quite the opposite. When I say the raid team, that is not a token gesture, I mean it. The raid team who I have played with since I have been back have been great. Quick to pick up tactics, decent at their role, great attitudes etc.

Lastly, thanks again to Shin and Kel. Without your efforts the guild may well have fallen apart.
I don't hear as good as I used to, and I ain't as pretty as I used to be. But I'm still here - I'm the Ram.

Celellach
Legend

#3 Post by Celellach » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:07 pm

While i don't agree with every decision you've made - i still love the guild and thank you for keeping the guild and raid team alive :)

3 notes:
1)
(yeah, Kor was there too. Probably subbed somebody, I can't find that in my records ).
I wasn't on alakir :mad:

2)
Thank you Luna, for constantly doing more and more dps, leading the melee team
Err, look at the dps charts for last night! :mad: (luna rezzing people is his fault :lol: )

3)
Beo's sister jokes are VERY FUNNY! But i still want a pic or facebook link! :D
I want to play a game.
http://www.warcraftpets.com/account/profile.asp?user=celellach#col

jeym

#4 Post by jeym » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Long departed player but it's been great to see you guys making the progress you have, and that RoF remains a pretty damn special guild :)

Seriously good work all.

Fienasre
Legend

#5 Post by Fienasre » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:35 am

After reading these posts... it's pretty hard to not come back... :ninja:

It appears as if you guys cleaned a lot of the mess that a bunch of others and I left behind.

Awesome stuff guys! RoF determination at it's best. 8)
│o_

northwestdakota
Rofficer

#6 Post by northwestdakota » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:58 am

You have seen the new scroll of resurrection thing right?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/267 ... cted-Soon!
I don't hear as good as I used to, and I ain't as pretty as I used to be. But I'm still here - I'm the Ram.

Celellach
Legend

#7 Post by Celellach » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:27 am

AMAZING stuff! If someone wants a scroll, let me know! The mount is shiney! :P
I want to play a game.

Glombeard
Legend

#8 Post by Glombeard » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:28 am

Celellach wrote:AMAZING stuff! If someone wants a scroll, let me know! The mount is shiney! :P
thx for the invite, but Glom will not come back.
What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both? A bit of both!

Celellach
Legend

#9 Post by Celellach » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:33 pm

your keystrokes say "no" but your totems say "for the rof!"
I want to play a game.

Fienasre
Legend

#10 Post by Fienasre » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:23 pm

I still have an active acount... I tricked my GF in creating a char to keep her busy when I'm having game weekends on my 360. She enjoys it very much! So I'm not completely evil.
│o_