Legion Mythic progression!

Everything you need to know about raiding with us, and a place to ask questions and talk boss strategies.
Kelodur
Rofficer

Legion Mythic progression!

#1 Post by Kelodur » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:03 am

Mythic Dungeons: 6/10

Dungeon: Max Level

Black Rook Hold: Mythic (31/10/2016, Reyes, Kel, Tak)
Court of Stars: --
Darkheart Thicket: --
Eye of Azshara: --
Halls of Valor: Mythic (27/10/2016, Reyes, Kel, Tak, Shin)
Maw of Souls: Mythic +2, past time limit (14/11/2016, Reyes, Kel, Tak, Shin, Ziggy)
Neltharion's Lair: --
The Arcway: Mythic (07/11/2016, Reyes, Kel, Tak, Shin)
Vault of the Wardens: Mythic (31/10/2016, Reyes, Kel, Tak, Shin)
Violet Hold: Mythic (13/10/2016, Tak, Shin, Kel, guest Nad)
Karazhan: Mythic 4/9 (06/03/2017, Tak, Shin, Kel, Rey, Ziggz)

Since we've started again doing content together, I decided to put here all the progress we make together in the Mythic Nights as a guild team to allow all members of the guild to see the AWESOMENESS that's currently going on in Legion. We can track down here when we did complete a new Mythic level, with whom and what level we reached for each dungeon.

It doesn't need to happen in a scheduled mythic night, as long as there are at least three guildies in the group you can post the result here.
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

Kelodur
Rofficer

Re: Legion Mythic progression!

#2 Post by Kelodur » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:29 am

13/10/2016 Mythic Night report!
Who: Tak (on Thornrage, H), Shin (on Rougster, D) and The Kel (on Kelodur, T), joined later by Nadina (on Ileria, D) as guest Shadow Priest and tactics dispenser :D.
Where: Violet Hold

It took more than one hour, but we managed to clear our first Mythic, even with an undergeared tank and an allegedly tipsy Tak.

It was great fun, and it genuinely felt like progression content. The trash was killer (in perfect renegade style), but each time we tried, we got a little bit further. Having people dispel and stun mob in the elite packs was the key to surviving there, and the Elite packs get harder in the later waves, so saving the lightning candles for those is more or less mandatory. I think we consistently got the mechanics of the trash down by the end of the run, aside from leaving people caged for far too much.

We needed a couple of tries on both intermediate bosses, but we ended up downing the mini boss and the final boss on our first try there.

We got Manastorm's wife as first boss, which requires movement, disabling bombs (which actually requires you to click on them for a change) and dpsing adds fast. We also went for a nice DPS race after she hits 30% health, which resulted in two (don't ask) clear kills in a row. It does a lot of raid wide damage if you ignore mechanics so, basically: don't ignore mechanics.

We got the frost dragon as our second boss, which requires moving from bottom to top to bottom of the arena, correct positioning from the tank (expecially since it has the bad habit of throwing him around), avoiding stuff raining from the sky and soaking / healing a bunch of damage when she decides to use her flame. Took us a couple of tries for Kel to find a place where he didn't end running all over the place every time the dragon swiped at him, and for Tak to understand the difference between up and down. He still wasn't sure by the end of the fight and got frozen like Han Solo, but hey, we already mentioned he was tipsy, right?

Last boss passed like a breeze, with people acting like they actually did know what to do (Nadina actually did). I'm not really sure I did get all the mechanics needed for this boss, but I know you need to avoid purple and green stuff. And that when you use two charges of your, erm, charger to get to the guy being executed, you need to right click the pillars to free him, and not DPS him. Sorry Shin if I was standing there looking at you die.

We had LOOT too, and there was a nice renegade-style discussion between Shin and Kel about a cloak (YOU TAKE IT! NO, YOU TAKE IT!) that was ended by a gentle intervention from Tak (KEL, TAKE THE DAMN CLOAK!). Kel (after an additional ninja session at 1 a.m. to do some world quests :D) is now ILVL 825 and people can stop making fun of him, thank you.

One note about team composition: Kel can't do it.

Renegades 1, Violet Hold 0!
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

northwestdakota
Rofficer

#3 Post by northwestdakota » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:47 am

Nicely done Kel, this will be great to work on. I enjoyed last night a lot. And not just because I had a couple of beers.

My issues with the up/down boss thing was every time I tried to go up, people had the AOE frost thing around me that I was not sure I could heal through. When I got frozen at the end, I was hoping that standing on the edge of the platform just out of range of the 2 people who were frost novaing me would mean I avoided the frozen shit. I didn't :(

Healing in mythic content is really hard if people don't avoid damage. Keeping Kel alive was really tough, I had to put 2 rejuves, a lifebloom, the aoe healing thing and spam healing touch. If the rest of the group is taking damage im having to stop my spam heals to keep them up, which is not always possible.

But as you have summed up, a combination of mechanics not being fully understood and a couple of people on the low side of ilvl hurt us. Both will get better with practice.

Speaking of just the 3 of us, I think we all need more practice. Shins DPS was a little low on his rogue, my healing was not efficient enough and you were a little rusty on your tanking. This is not a criticism, to be honest its completely expected and something will get better. I just think it's a nice that we HAVE to get better to do the content. My WoW experience over the last few years has been heroics and LFR, both of which are too easy with no challenge. Last night was fun again.
I don't hear as good as I used to, and I ain't as pretty as I used to be. But I'm still here - I'm the Ram.

Reyes
Rofficer

#4 Post by Reyes » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:32 pm

don't worry, soon Reyes ("one of the best" - Tak) will lead you all to glory
"Now all we need is some mood music...like whale songs"

northwestdakota
Rofficer

#5 Post by northwestdakota » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:47 pm

Reyes wrote:don't worry, soon Reyes ("one of the best" - Tak) will lead you all to glory
:D
I don't hear as good as I used to, and I ain't as pretty as I used to be. But I'm still here - I'm the Ram.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#6 Post by Kelodur » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:38 pm

You're definitely right about my tanking being rusty. I've been healing for last three expansions, I was undergeared and the tanking mechanics of legion are very different from when I last played tank. But then... it's good to see that we all have room to improve and learn. And while a Mythic is not a full scale raid, it is hard enough even on "standard" difficulty. You're also right about the "everybody has to carry his own weight" thing. I actually think this is intended, and it's part of the charm of doing Mythics, as you can't have people just tag along for the sightseeing.

I'm truly looking forward to playing more of these in the next weeks. It's a great change from just logging in and doing mindless content over and over again like I did in Draenor.

shindarak
Guild Master

#7 Post by shindarak » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:31 pm

really nice story about our "exploits in mythics", Kel! Txs.

I got my rouge upto ilvl 845 now. But it seems I might be using the wrong specc (assassination is nice for single target bosses, pirate build is RNG-depended AoE for trash mobs.....Will look into it some more. It seems rouges are sub-par for mythics anyway (most melee is.....). Its easier with ranged to stay on targets and stay away from cleave attacks and random stuff like that.....but we are not going for mythical 15+ are we??
"Do it with style, or don’t do it at all." -Jazz-

"Come back you cowards! I'll bite your legs off!!!" -de-limbed black knight-

Kelodur
Rofficer

#8 Post by Kelodur » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:48 am

AFAIK we never did a challenge mode dungeon before, which is more or less like Mythic+ in concept. So, if we ever do a Mythic 2+, it would already be a new milestone for the guild. No need for Mythic 15+ at all :D.

Not to mention the fact that in a week... KARAZHAN OPENS!

northwestdakota
Rofficer

#9 Post by northwestdakota » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:08 pm

I wouldn't worry to much about Spec Shin, BM is best for hunters but is the most boring spec possible. As long as the DPS is enough to get through the encounter its no problem. You will get your biggest DPS boost just by knowing the encounters more. My DPS with Tak has always been low in any new encounters because im trying to see where i'm supposed to stand and when to move.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#10 Post by Kelodur » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:44 am

Last night only myself and Tak managed to come online in time, so we ended up going into a mythic together, with me tanking and Tak dpsing. Next time Shin should be there too, and hopefully DV and Reyes can join us too. I actually need to farm some healing gear now, I'm ilvl 840 on the tank spec, but only ilvl 818 on the healing one.

But, back to yesterday! Only two people around, so it doesn't count as a guild run, but still. We went to Halls of Valor along with 2 spanish guys (an hunter and an healing shaman) and a very silent, very german druid. The PUG turned out to be very friendly and fun, and we had some nice time clearing the place. It didn't feel as hard as last week's mythic, more in line with a WOTLK when you weren't overgearing the place (i.e. you don't follow the mechanics, you get punished, but if you do follow them, it's manageable). I was just in the zone yesterday, I know I'm saying this myself, but I felt good and my tanking was more or less exactly as I wanted it to be. I died only once to a killer pull of wolves that actually did surprise me for the spike damage it managed to do, but that was it. I'll let Tak say anything else about how I tanked cause maybe he had a different feeling about it, maybe it was just me too happy cause I finally got a whisky bottle to celebrate :D. Tak was tired and this impacted his reaction times a little, and he died a couple of times to movement mechanics (i.e. we have the proof: stay hunter for too much, and you become a slowpoke, just like Beouffur before him).

Still, it was great fun, I got an achievement (Tak already cleared the place @Mythic), and the dungeon was done in just about an hour.

Highlight of the night: we had one panic moment that ended up being funny as hell. We moved past some groups in the main corridor, and while we were regrouping before next group, someone ended up pulling last group we skipped. We engaged, and ended up pulling the patrol that timely returned to this end of the corridor. Which had a big guy that just pushed me into the next pull. We managed, but that was just "how not to pull mobs 101". Still, as we survived those chain pulls unscathed (even Tak survived!), we realised how good the group was. Good times!