Add-ons

Game-related articles and links to some useful sites. Please add your own favourites.
Deathviper
Guild Master (Retired)

Add-ons

#1 Post by Deathviper » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:48 pm

We* thought it would be a good idea to get a list of recommended add-ons people have to help everyone out. I've certainly found ones recently that I didn't know existed which I've found very helpful.

Please post as many or as few as you like together with a brief description of what they do (so I can categorize them) and if possible a download link.

Curse Client - Not an add-on but a client for downloading/managing/updating addons. I have found this extremely helpful, especially after a big patch where everything is outdated. A couple of clicks and everything is scanned and updated as needed.

Combat

Power Auras - Graphical (or text, or sound, or whatever) notifications about anything you want to know about that happens ever.

ButtonTimers - There are many DoT timer addons, but this one I like because I can mix and match DoTs, cooldowns and auras together, in the order, size, colour, location, etc of my choosing. Plus, they stick around when not up instead of decaying after a few seconds.

Quartz - Every caster should have a cast bar that shows latency for queueing up your next spell as early as possible.

Raids/Dungeons

Big Wigs Bossmods - Boss alert mod, will give you timers/cast bars/warnings etc on boss abilities, very valuable in certain encounters.

Omen Threat Meter - Does what it says on the tin, measures your threat on your current target compared to the tank/otehr dps. Essential in raids.

Recount - Meter recording various elements of your group/raids performance such as damage, healing, threat, resource gains etc.

Healing

Healbot - 1 Click healing with heals mapped to mouse/button combos. I couldn't raid heal without it.

Decursive - 1 Click decursing/cleansing. I prefer to use this over healbot as I already have too many key bindings for healbot that I am happy with.

Loot/Gear

Atlasloot Enchanced - Browsable full loot database for pretty much everything available (raids/dungeons/badges/PvP etc)

Gearscore - Gives you a score based on ilvls on your gear. Used by pugs alot to filter members.

Professions

Gatherer - Displays nodes on the map and minimap for use when farming. A full library with all nodes pre saved is also available.

General

Questhelper - Shows locations of quest mobs/items as well as quest routes. Massive resource hog and much of the utility is now part of the default ui

Class Specific

Paladin

clcret - Displays the next 2 abilities that will be available in your FCFS rotation. Pretty helpful for maximising your dps, especially for a newer pally.
"Puny God!"

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

Re: Add-ons

#2 Post by Revolver » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:05 pm

The Curse Client sounds great. I had no idea it existed.

I played for 20 minutes last night with no addons at all. Today I'm planning to get these:

Deadly Boss Mods
Atlasloot Enhanced
QuestHelper
GearScore
Recount
Quartz
Omen Threat Meter
X-Perl UnitFrames
Auctioneer
Bartender4
Skinner
Decursive
SexyMap

Once I've tried them all, if they're any good, I'll write descriptions. If there's anything obvious that I'm missing (other than Curse Client) then please say so.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#3 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:10 pm

I wouldn't get QuestHelper these days Rev. Much of what it gives you is included now and it's by far the biggest resource hog of any addon and will serially disconnect you in Dalaran.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#4 Post by Revolver » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:20 pm

TroyBlade wrote:I wouldn't get QuestHelper these days Rev. Much of what it gives you is included now and it's by far the biggest resource hog of any addon and will serially disconnect you in Dalaran.
Can I still get the big arrow that tells me where I need to go and what to kill, so I don't need to read quest text? :)
Stealth is an option.

Reyes
Rofficer

#5 Post by Reyes » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:21 pm

I use an addon compilation called LUI, with a few modifications. I'll post a screenshot and the link when I get home.
"Now all we need is some mood music...like whale songs"

Glombeard
Legend

#6 Post by Glombeard » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:26 pm

TroyBlade wrote:Power Auras

Graphical (or text, or sound, or whatever) notifications about anything you want to know about that happens ever.

ButtonTimers

There are many DoT timer addons, but this one I like because I can mix and match DoTs, cooldowns and auras together, in the order, size, colour, location, etc of my choosing. Plus, they stick around when not up instead of decaying after a few seconds.

Quartz

Every caster should have a cast bar that shows latency for queueing up your next spell as early as possible.

powerauras is awesome!

dottimer could be interesting if shows dots on different targets, though i just have flame shock!

but i could get some more advice on quartz. don't we have same effect on buttons on the bar?

if i'm wrong pls explain more =)
What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both? A bit of both!

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#7 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:29 pm

Viewporter

You place most of your addons at the bottom of the screen. Not only does Viewporter make the area tidier but it reduces the amount of rendering of your surroundings that your PC has to do so increases performance.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#8 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Revolver wrote:Can I still get the big arrow that tells me where I need to go and what to kill, so I don't need to read quest text? :)
You lose the arrow but you do get the locations marked for you on your map and you also get the info on mob mouseover that tells you things like you need to kill this troll to get trolls ears and so far you have 3/12 of them.

You also get to visit Dalaran.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#9 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:45 pm

Quartz.

You're casting a spell with a 1.5 second cast time.

You do not need to wait the whole 1.5 seconds before you cast your next spell, you only need to make sure that the server doesn't receive your next spell instruction sooner than 1.5 seconds after it received the last.

You maximise this by starting your next cast when your cast bar reaches the red bit, rather than when it reaches the end.

If you are chain casting this spell and you waited until the end of the bar, it would take 1.5s + YourLatency between each cast. My latency, as a percentage of the cast time of my spells is huge. Maybe something like 15-20% on average in a raid. (My red bit is generally larger than the red bit in the picture above.)

It also includes a GCD timer (which I don't really use since half your actions show the little sweeping clock effect) and a weapon swing timer which is probably quite handy if you are a melee who uses something that resets your swing timer but is still actually worth using. Can't think of anything right now but it's there if you need it. Maybe Arms warrior and Pummel? Or Slam. Or something. I dunno.

Glombeard
Legend

#10 Post by Glombeard » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:45 pm

sold!
What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both? A bit of both!