Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
Kelodur
Rofficer

Re: Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

#29161 Post by Kelodur » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:03 pm

HA! Look who's there! Mr. Awesome For The Horde is in the house!

Hope you are all fine and you are all not following Troy's advices on TV. Come on, he's even saying that MI:2 is terrible when it just is the best of the series thanks to the great John Woo direction. HA! I missed this. Maybe not, but hey, yeah, I missed my friends.

So, what the Kel has been doing recently? A lot of World of Warcraft, obviously. Which was, well, fine, I guess, but not great. The new expansion has some great levelling, but the endgame is just Legion all over again, and it's so much centered on world quests (i.e. think daily quests, only randomized like Diablo 3 missions) that I don't really enjoy it that much. There is an almost scripted way to gear up, and you just grab item after item to inflate your gear level up and up without even noticing what's in the gear you're getting anymore. It's all a little bit underwhelming and, I dare say, boring to the point it feels more like a chore than fun.

Dungeons are still dungeons, and you still need to form up a party to do a mythic dungeon. Which brings me to my first gripe with my new WoW life: the new guild is, well, deadly silent. I've had only a couple small talk exchanges and the conversation always die after a couple of minutes. Having lost the first 3 weeks of the expansion meant I was behind in gear too, and this means that all the dungeons I've done so far were not in the guild. I never had a request to form up a party for Mythic answered, and what I managed to trigger once was to have some other people forming a mythic keystone party (think rift in Diablo) by themselves that was too hard for me to join so I was left behind. Bah.

I did my first raid yesterday evening, and while it was done in voice chat there was almost no conversation by voice (this I can understand), and just a little bit more talk in raid chat. But, just a little bit. Think Reyes in a good mood amount of conversation. And after the raid, I was scolded (in guild chat, which hurt a little bit) because I had once hit my PC and once I let go a deep sigh while playing: since it's deemed demoralizing, I should have done this with mic off. There it went all my happiness for the night.

In the end, however, I downed 7 bosses with no death on non-wipes from me, and got 3 pieces of loot and a glass of Lagavulin 16 yo., so it was quite good on paper. My DPS was very low, but I was like 10-15 ilvl lower than everybody else, and I even managed to match some other warriors with 10+ ilvl, so while I'm probably just mediocre, at least I'm not a complete scrub.
But does it matters in the end, when everything I got in the end was a night of gaming with people that I don't know, that don't want to know me, and that probably I do not want to know myself by now?

I really missed all that made our nights fun, and while I don't regret trying something new, this just made me realize even more how much special the mood was in our guild. And fuck all the people that tried to made me forget this by acting like spoiled brats. You know who I'm referring to.

I've played several other games on PC and PS4 recently, but I don't think there's much to say about that. Two Point Hospital is AWESOME, and if you like the genre you need to get it. And I've been obsessively playing Curious Expedition (outside of Steam though) and I'm now starting to hate it because I've played it too much.

My son is getting older and smarter, and he's doing great. Here's me hoping he doesn't make the stupid choices his father made in the past. Ah. And I've bought an house. So I now need to do a lot of things inside the house and this is eating a lot of time and energy. But I've got an house to go live without my parents again, which is just AWESOME. If I will ever manage to enter the house.

Sometimes is really hard to feel alive. Sometimes it's just great to be there. I think this means I'm getting better and more... normal, I guess?

I am a Renegade in all but name and proud of it.

P.S. And The Witch looks great. Go and watch Train to Busan too if you can find it. AWESOME zombie movie from Korea.
And The VVitch wasn't korean but I loved it a lot, so just watch that in the meantime too.
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#29162 Post by Revolver » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Kelo! Warcraft sounds hard work, but at least you're getting to play and raid.

Yes on Train to Busan. Liked it a lot. I think we talked about it at some point. We talk about a lot of things though. Apparently there's a sequel in the works. Not sure that's needed (are they ever?!), but will still check it out.

I don't think The Witch has a European distribution deal yet. You'll just have to wait.

I've been playing more Spiderman (still great), and avoiding reading all of the stuff coming out about RDR2. I don't care about the story, or the multiplayer, or anything really. I just want an AMAZING world I can engage with and dick around in for hours on end.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#29163 Post by TroyBlade » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:06 pm

It was Rev who said MI:2 was rubbish. I said it was better than 1.

And yes, we've watched and talked about Train to Busan before. It's great. It's on Netflix now I think.

I liked The VVitch. I understand why most people didn't.. Anyway I liked the atmosphere and the setting more than the story.

I think WoW became a chore in the end, even with friends. So I get your issues. Hope it gets better for you.

I finished Castle Rock. It's one of those where the outcome is intentionally ambiguous. Actually I quite liked the way they had the jury trial at the beginning and he was summing up - is there reasonable doubt? I think it was deliberate, to make you doubt the major question:
Spoiler!
Was he evil, or was it the fact that he was in the wrong place causing the evil all around him.
Anyway, I liked the series. It wasn't so full of Stephen King easter eggs as I was expecting. Actually, it probably was. It was just when someone mentions some street or some name, I can't remember those streets or people from his books..
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#29164 Post by Kelodur » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:49 am

So, one more raiding night, and Keloverd the Warrior sits on 8/8 bosses downed on Normal difficulty, plus 2/8 bosses on Heroic difficulty. To put this in context, Heroic is more or less on par to Ulduar in difficulty, with strict gear requirements on top of very punishing mechanics, while Normal is more relaxed expecially in the gear requirement (basically, you can enter and finish Normal in full Mythic dungeon gear without any gear from the raid itself, making progression more or less just a tactics check), while keeping the tactics requirement in place (even if some are less punishing).

Having 20 people raiding together really feels like sci-fi to me (when we had such a big group for the last time? I think we probably did Sartharion 25 +3 once... I don't remember more 25 men raids past that), and the flexible raiding introduced by Blizzard that allows you to have between 10 to 25 person in the same raid, joining and leaving freely it's just AWESOME, as nobody needs to be left behind, and if anyone has to call the evening early he can still come for the first part of the raid (and viceversa). And raiding with a group where tactics are just taken for granted to the point that NO EXPLANATION OF TACTICS IS GIVEN BEFORE THE PULL, brings tears to my eyes. We lost just too much time for that.

The raid in itself is... nice, I guess. There are some very interesting mechanics, and some tactics can be quite complicated, but you have got very clear warnings and it's quite easy to follow what's happening, allowing the game to throw a lot of stuff at you without confusing you. There are some movement mechanics that made Heigan pale by comparison, and I think we could have piled the wipes on those by the dozen. What the raid is lacking is the WOW factor: I don't know if it is because it is the nth raid I enter, but there is nothing comparable to the spectacle of Ulduar or to the heavy characterization of the 4 wings of Naxxramas here. It's a nice looking place but it is too... plain? And G'huun is probably the most horrible boss I ever saw in a raid.

What's next? Farming, obviously, as my gear ilvl is too low to proceed in heroic Uldir, and while I've brought some sweet DPS on the last boss on Normal (was really satisfied about that, managed to be 5th in damage done, without getting caught in a single mechanic for the whole fight, even if I was the worse equipped of 15 dps). And making more money, as I spent 6k+ gold just for one night of raiding between flasks and food and stuff. Or, in other words... if I want to continue playing in the heroics, I need to enter grind mode. Including rep grinding mode. Awwwww.
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

Fienasre
Legend

#29165 Post by Fienasre » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:02 am

Is that "Awwwwww" followed by... "shit!" or followed by... "YEAH!" ?
It looks like you are partially enjoying yourself with that. But between the lines people can pick up a negative vibe in your essay. Would you kindly keep an eye on your enjoyment level? :ninja:

And I am glad to hear you can finally move our of your mums garage again! What kind of house did you buy? Does it have a garden?
How is the new job?

... Why did you stop talking to us? :(

Well I am still fucking tired. I think my energy levels look like a fucking sound wave. I feel better, do too much, crash, try to pick myself up again.
We bought some electric bikes recently. They should encourage me to get out more. And I think I am ready to pick up running again.
Though, I am scared of the coming months. So many plans and obligations coming up until the end of november. Now that I think about it... it's too much... Shit
│o_

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#29166 Post by Revolver » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:44 am

That raiding does sound like fun. Part of me would love to get back into that, but I know it's never going to happen. I don't think I'd ever be good enough or knowledgeable enough about a game to want to play with that many people though. I'd be so worried I'd just let them all down all the time. Grats on finding a guild that lets you do it, Kel!

I got game-fatigue last night for the first time in ages. Didn't want to play Spider-man, even though I'm so close to finishing it. So went through about 8 other games for a few minutes each, before switching off and going to bed. Probably just been over-doing it with Spider-man lately, plus I really just want Dark Souls on Switch and RDR2 on PS4. I really can't wait for those two. I hope I like them.

My mid-life crisis is kicking in. I bought a skateboard. Well, actually my wife bought it for me as an anniversary present. Good girl. I've not skated for probably 25 years or so, but my son likes going to the skatepark with his scooter and board, so rather than sit there watching, or trying to teach him on his mini-deck, I got one for myself. I think this is going to hurt. Also, September in the UK is pretty much the start of the winter, and we probably won't get another dry weekend until May or something, so whatever.

Good work on the bikes/running, Fien. Getting out and running/riding is so important for me, I hope it works for you. Being able to get out and be on my own for an hour or two, while also doing me some sort of good (and destroying my knees), is just awesome.

I've also got a potential job-change in the pipeline, which I'm really not sure about. It's a great move professionally, but would mean switching from a 45-minute train ride and 30 minute walk each way to work, to a 70-80 minute drive, depending on traffic. Not sure I can face that every day, and I'm not prepared to move house for it. Time-wise it's about the same, but I love the walk (regardless of weather), and the train ride is perfect for watching Netflix or playing on the Switch. Bah. First world problem, I know.
Stealth is an option.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#29167 Post by Kelodur » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:32 am

Fienasre wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:02 am
Is that "Awwwwww" followed by... "shit!" or followed by... "YEAH!" ?
Probably just Awwwwww. Boooooooring.
Fienasre wrote:
It looks like you are partially enjoying yourself with that. But between the lines people can pick up a negative vibe in your essay. Would you kindly keep an eye on your enjoyment level? :ninja:
You're right on both points. I am enjoying myself, cause raiding is great fun, and it has been years since I last cleared a normal raid so early in the expansion and I never started working on heroics because, well, guild numbers. And the switch to DPS was sorely needed, I was having healing fatigue for the whole last expansion. But I'm not in love at all with the guild I'm raiding with, I'm feeling a lot of "old times were better" feelings, and the game outside of raiding is pretty much boring to me. Let's see what happens in the next few weeks.
Fienasre wrote:
And I am glad to hear you can finally move our of your mums garage again! What kind of house did you buy? Does it have a garden?
How is the new job?
I did buy an apartment actually. It's nice and not too big, nor too small, and it has a nice balcony too. It's 20 years old, more or less, so it needs some refreshing job, but it's very well kept and I've bought it for less than it's evaluation. I have bought this half and half with my girlfriend, which feels more or less terrifying given what has happened with my ex-wife, but you can't have your fear of failure stop you from doing something you really want to do, right? And, yes, this is my psychologist speech :D.
New job is fine. Less "bad" stress, more "good" stress. More money. Lots of potential for growth and change for the future. Mission accomplished so far, I guess.
Fienasre wrote:
... Why did you stop talking to us? :(
Because Troy, obviously. Jokes aside, I've not been well. I have had a couple of months where my anxiety and depression roared like the sea in a thunderstorm, and I regressed to a deep hole from which I probably would have never exited if it wasn't for my girlfriend reaching in and dragging me out. The whole WoW thing is part of this, WoW is a place where I hide myself from the world, and sometimes it can be a lifesaver for me. That's why enjoyment of the game is just a part of it, it's a big stress relief to be able to login and just think of Azeroth for a while.
Fienasre wrote:
Well I am still fucking tired. I think my energy levels look like a fucking sound wave. I feel better, do too much, crash, try to pick myself up again.
I feel for you, as I do the same in a slightly different way. I start getting things to do, and more and more responsibility to the point where I can't handle everything and then feel like the only chance I have is to crash along with everything I have. Or start feeling like everything is on my shoulders and no one can help me, while it's definitely not true. We both need to pay more attention to ourselves when we feel fine I guess. Even my son tells me that, and God, he is 8!
Fienasre wrote:
We bought some electric bikes recently. They should encourage me to get out more. And I think I am ready to pick up running again.
Running! I want to get back to running again. But I'm freaking lazy, damn me.
Fienasre wrote:
Though, I am scared of the coming months. So many plans and obligations coming up until the end of november. Now that I think about it... it's too much... Shit
You can do it. Just lean on the people that can help you. You're not alone, man.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#29168 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:36 am

Why would you go work somewhere there isn't a cinema open in your lunchbreak? Mental..

Where is it? Location-wise, I mean.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#29169 Post by Kelodur » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:47 am

Revolver wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:44 am
That raiding does sound like fun. Part of me would love to get back into that, but I know it's never going to happen. I don't think I'd ever be good enough or knowledgeable enough about a game to want to play with that many people though. I'd be so worried I'd just let them all down all the time. Grats on finding a guild that lets you do it, Kel!
I have exactly the same feeling you describe. Actually - I'm waiting for the moment they just tell me "thanks, but we feel you're not up to the task" anytime now. I'm just trying to get the most I can out of this experience right now.
Revolver wrote:
I got game-fatigue last night for the first time in ages.
Ha! Newbie.
Revolver wrote:
My mid-life crisis is kicking in.
Ha! Newbie.
Revolver wrote:
I bought a skateboard. Well, actually my wife bought it for me as an anniversary present. Good girl. I've not skated for probably 25 years or so, but my son likes going to the skatepark with his scooter and board, so rather than sit there watching, or trying to teach him on his mini-deck, I got one for myself. I think this is going to hurt.
I did the same 10 years ago and almost broke my ankle. But it was AWESOME til it lasted. But hey - you're far more used than me to falling. However - videos or it didn't happen!
Revolver wrote:
Good work on the bikes/running, Fien. Getting out and running/riding is so important for me, I hope it works for you. Being able to get out and be on my own for an hour or two, while also doing me some sort of good (and destroying my knees), is just awesome.
+1.
Revolver wrote:
I've also got a potential job-change in the pipeline, which I'm really not sure about. It's a great move professionally, but would mean switching from a 45-minute train ride and 30 minute walk each way to work, to a 70-80 minute drive, depending on traffic. Not sure I can face that every day, and I'm not prepared to move house for it. Time-wise it's about the same, but I love the walk (regardless of weather), and the train ride is perfect for watching Netflix or playing on the Switch. Bah. First world problem, I know.
Well, just don't then. 70-80 minutes drive is a BIG change to your personal life. It will also mean getting out of the car and stepping into the house without that hour of decompression you usually have every day. I think this is the crucial part of it. You're basically removing from your life something that allows you to relief your day job stress before going to your household stress, subbing it with more stress coming from traffic. Ok, maybe this job will give you a shitton of money and this means everything will change in the rest of your life but if not - just think about your personal life first. A little less money and more quality time for yourself sounds definitely better to me.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#29170 Post by Kelodur » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:53 am

Btw, why aren't we using Discord instead of the forums?

We could use it to voice chat whatever we are playing, and for the kind of chats we have it's just perfect. And you can use it to chat on the phone like it was whatsapp too.

Fuck, I've created this for us, let's see if it catches up: https://discord.gg/Yg3RKT