Stay awhile and listen (official D3 thread)

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

Re: Stay awhile and listen (official D3 thread)

#141 Post by Revolver » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:55 pm

Is Old Hunters the Bloodborne DLC? I've not even considered that! Do we (you) know where it can be accessed? What I mean is, how long will I need to play for before I can get to it. I have a character right at the start in NG+ and a character right at the start.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#142 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:19 am

Not a clue.

Completely spoiler free would be ideal but judging by the Dark Souls DLC, it would take a year to find it.

I guess I'll try and find out.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#143 Post by Revolver » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:42 am

Some random internet person says "If you can beat FRC Pthemuru Descendant you can handle the DLC". I don't know what that FRC thing is, so I reckon I'll be fine.
Stealth is an option.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#144 Post by Kelodur » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:26 pm

So, last night I decide to play D3 online on PS4 for the first time in a long while. I tell myself "ok, let's get carried a little bit" and aim for Torment 6 standard rift using the "quick play" button of the game. One minute later, I get into the game.

And. The game is lagging. Lagging a lot. I think my internet is misbehaving again, and I'm almost out of the game, when it stops lagging. Good. I teleport to the other players location. Game gets ultralaggy again. And then, the game starts telling me I'm leveling up. I think to myself "look, this is so bugged!". Level 400 paragon? Level 800 paragon? And this guy here is 10000 paragon?

I log out. Log back in, and I'm sitting at paragon level 1300+. I have got 25.000.000 gold too in the process. SAY WHAT? And then I head to the internet, and find out people are hacking the game saves on PS3, importing them to PS4 and voila, overpowered gear with billions of damage per hit, infinite resources and 1000x experience per kill. Geez.

So, now I'm paragon 1300, and this made my monk quite more powerful. And the process of leveling a lot less meaningful. I guess this is the reason why they ported seasons to the consoles too. But, well.

Now, Troy. How do you decide how to gear your character? And how you actually get to the point of farming the right place? I wanted to do things a little bit more seriously (probably on PC after this incident on console) but I'm a little bit clueless.

Aside from choosing a guide and copying all the gear used there, I don't seem to be able to plan how to get there consistently. In example, I have several set recipes right now. I know I can farm for the mats by completing the act quests, but I don't know which pieces to get and use. Also, I know I need to farm act 1 to get that ring that lowers the set requirements by 1, but I have no idea on where I could get the info of what each acts horadric cache drop. And I know I should bet shards to get the set pieces I need, but I don't know what I actually can get from Kadala, so I have no idea on what I should bet on. I don't know if different bosses have different loot tables. Basically I know shit of this game.

Oh, am I right in trying to roll a socket on a ring by reforging the same stat all over again (the stat has socket(1) in the "possible properties" screen))?
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#145 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:10 pm

Never play D3 online with randoms on console, for the above reasons. You are stuck with that now unless you delete your game data and start over. I think I would do that if it happened to me.

Nobody drops anything that other things don't drop. You cannot focus farm for anything at all.

With the exception of the Horadric cache loot, that is. All of those items are unique to Horadric caches. The Ring of Royal Grandeur is likely to be the only thing you would ever want. I think there is a Crusader shield that might have been useful once in another cache but even that's probably useless now.

The set recipes you have are likely to be useless. There might be a build or two that benefits a monk for using some craftable swords - Born's Furious Wrath or something like that. But I think those might be used in XP farming builds, which won't even be a thing after patch 2.4. There is also the XP farming armour set, which is also crafted, and also useless after the next patch.

That's not to say that everything crafted is useless. Reaper's Wraps (bracers) are nice for many classes. Possibly even still best in slot for one or two builds. And also, there are many builds that don't require a specific weapon for the orange property. For those, any crafted ancient weapon is likely to better than many/any non ancient weapon you might find. Everything scales from weapon damage. So yeah, especially when starting out, there are some craftable solutions.

Kadala can give you everything in the game, except for those previously mentioned cache specific items. You definitely want to use Kadala to find your gear. Especially since the blood shards can't be used for anything else anyway. The gear from Kadala is also difficulty level independent. So you can be playing on Hard and get loot from Kadala that only drops on Torment 1 and above.

Since 2.3 though, everything changed. Use Kadala to get your armour. Use the cube to get your weapons and/or other rare items like mojos, wizard hats, etc. For example if as a monk you want to do an Uliana's build (which is fucking great btw) you absolutely need to have 2 specific fist weapons. You can see them on my monk (which wasn't all that before I stopped playing).

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Blad ... o/67980714

So, you craft a bunch of rare (yellow) fist weapons, and use the cube to upgrade them to legendary, until you get your fist weapons.

The other nice cube recipe is the one that lets you transform a set item into another item from the same set. This means that finding duplicates is actually useful. This only works for sets with more than 2 items in it. Also, you will never get an ancient version of an item with this recipe, unlike the rare item upgrade one, which can and will produce ancients at a 10% chance.

I should also mention the obvious - you want to "extract legendary power" of anything and everything that you can. But the really awesome ones that benefit just about everyone to huge extents, are the mace The Furnace and the ring Convention of Elements.

As to how to work out what gear you want. Well, I can only suggest guides. Look on youtube for Meatheadmikhail and Rhykker. They have playlists with all sorts of builds for most or all classes. And since you are a Monk, you can also try Quin69. Most of his stuff is monk specific, I think. Just be careful to pick builds for patch 2.3 (or 2.4 PTR if you want to plan ahead) because so much has changed that those older builds are obsolete.

The only other advice I can give, is that when starting out, you can't really follow any of those builds you might find in guides, because they are all so very gear dependant. The way to get better when you first hit level 70, is to struggle through a torment 1 rift until you get a greater rift key. Then do the greater rift to get a legendary gem. The legendary gems that will catapult your rubbish character to torment 6 or so with no other gear, are Pain Enhancer and Efficacious Toxin. Use them with the slowest hardest hitting weapon you can find. Be aware that you are likely to need to replace both of those after a while for your actual build. For your 3rd gem, probably get Bane of the Powerful, which is also likely to be replaced later. Or if your build does movement impairing effects like slow or freeze, then go for Bane of the Trapped, which is highly likely to be used by your actual builds later.

Oh and your other question - yes, keep on rerolling that property until you get a socket. You'll get it eventually!

Kelodur
Rofficer

#146 Post by Kelodur » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:42 pm

Troy, your post was PERFECT. I was back to PC and actually knew what to do to gear up my Witch Doctor.

My appreciation for Diablo 3 has raised patch after patch. I think right now it's even a better game than Diablo 2.

There, I said it.
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#147 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:32 pm

Does that mean you're going Hardcore with me for season 5?

Kelodur
Rofficer

#148 Post by Kelodur » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:47 pm

PC or PS4? And how much time do I need to play to play together with you in Season 5?

Also... with season gear not present anymore, why one should actually play a Season char? Just to avoid cheaters? :D

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#149 Post by TroyBlade » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:11 pm

Still no seasons on console.

The reasons to play seasons on PC are seasonal leaderboards - because you can't compete on main leaderboards due to the people who've been no-lifing it for years. And for the bonus stash space you get as reward for doing the season journey, which is a bunch of season only achievements.

You need good internet to play hardcore. Other than that, I dunno maybe 2 hours a day for the first month at least. Probably less after I lose interest when I realise that my leaderboard push is likely to fail again.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#150 Post by Kelodur » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:21 pm

Then it's a no from me sorry. I can hardly play for 2 hours a day everyday right now, and most of that time is late night playing too. Sorry, mate :(.