DS II (Be wary for spoilers)

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
Glombeard
Legend

Re: DS II (Be wary for spoilers)

#211 Post by Glombeard » Thu May 29, 2014 7:43 pm

The Chariot was defeated today at fourth try. while on the second i discovered that
Spoiler!
i had to pull the lever to stop him
on the third try i halved his hit-points before i got killed.
Spoiler!
it was another boss fight where it's better not to target him. it's way easier to run/roll on his sides
anyway...time to focus on the iron keep.
What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both? A bit of both!

Glombeard
Legend

#212 Post by Glombeard » Sat May 31, 2014 7:13 pm

i had several tries yesterday night and this morning to the Smelter Demon in the Iron Keep. i used 5 humanities to ask for help to Lucathiel ghost, then i stopped frustrated. Not long ago i logged on and went for a couple of tries while undead and i managed to Kill him by myself.

i had to learn how to properly roll for his 2 lateral + 1 vertical swing combo.
Spoiler!
It's just a jump to the left then a roll ahead!
as The Rocky Horror picture show teaches!!!!

i was really satisfied! time for next room!
What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both? A bit of both!

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#213 Post by TroyBlade » Sat May 31, 2014 8:20 pm

Nice one Glom.

Personally I never use Humanities for bosses. I just wear the ring of life protection pretty much permanently. So I'm human pretty much permanently.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#214 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:38 am

I actually played some last night, first time for ages.

The Undead Crypt was a bit of a struggle just to open up the shortcut but the boss was (2nd try) easy enough.

I then found what can only be a rather hollowed
Spoiler!
King Vendrick,
who was attackable but not hostile. I turned it off then - think I'll head for the wiki on this one.

Glombeard
Legend

#215 Post by Glombeard » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:47 am

Grats Troy! i suppose you're quite ahead in your adventures. did you pass already draenglic castle?

i went for last boss in the Iron Keep yesterday. i actually read about him, don't know why but i couldn't stand facing him blind. have to say i'm using the ring you told few posts ago and it's getting expensive repairing it.

so i felt it fair enough reading and then facing the boss. it went quite smoothly 3 or 4 tries then i killed him. it wasn't actually so hard.
Spoiler!
playing hide and seek behind the wall.

anyway, besides the giant rat i have to kill the two-headed giant spider and then the boss in the Gulch (the area with the poisong spitting statues)...
Last edited by Glombeard on Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deathviper
Guild Master (Retired)

#216 Post by Deathviper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:57 am

TroyBlade wrote:I actually played some last night, first time for ages.

The Undead Crypt was a bit of a struggle just to open up the shortcut but the boss was (2nd try) easy enough.

I then found what can only be a rather hollowed
Spoiler!
King Vendrick,
who was attackable but not hostile. I turned it off then - think I'll head for the wiki on this one.
Spoilers if you are going to the wiki anyway:

Small one first:
Spoiler!
There is a ring on the floor behind him that you need, but you don't have to engage him for this. He is completely optional
Bigger tactical ones:
Spoiler!
When you first meet him King Vendrick is impossible, he has a 32x damage reduction in place. You need to gather souls of giants (these are not the same things as the great boss souls you have collected so far) and each one when in your inventory will halve his damage reduction. Once you have all 5 it remooves it completely.

You will probably have to google where to find the souls, 4 are pretty easy to get (though not obvious to find) and he is killable with just these 4. One is from the hardest boss in the game (also optional to kill, but you will have to get there to progress) which also has the hardest approach of any boss in the game.
"Puny God!"

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#217 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:01 am

I found the Iron Keep last boss so easy, without ever running away behind the wall. But it's all about playstyles and everything that involves. The Lost Sinner was a nightmare for me and I needed help on the Smelter Demon for example.

The thing about the ring is that with most of the bosses you'll earn more than the repair cost just getting back to the boss. So even if you feel like it's too expensive to use all the time, then at least make sure you only ever use 1 humanity on each boss.

There's also the fact that every now and then (it happened to me last night!), that ring will save you from losing all your souls. I saved about 35K last night so there's 12 lots of repair money right there.

Also, mild spoiler I suppose but there comes a point where you will no longer need humanities because you can turn human for free. The downside is you have to travel to do that - you can't just become human when you like out in the field. Also it only works if you don't have any humanity on you, so you can't travel and do it wanting to save your last one, for example.

It's possible that you also need to not mess up a small quest line. But other than by killing clearly harmless NPCs I don't see how you can mess it up really.

Deathviper
Guild Master (Retired)

#218 Post by Deathviper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:15 am

I ended up using the ring (rings actually as I had 2 towards the end of the game somehow) permenantyl on boss runs. I always made enough souls (and kept them regularly enough) that I always came out on top using them and just porting back and getting them repaired every couple of trys.

On the boss mentioned in the spoilers above I think I would have given up without them as I probably woudl have run out of humanity and there is no way I would have gone through the hassle of using the free humanity Troy mentioned each time.
"Puny God!"

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#219 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:19 am

Cheers DV.

I have been through Drangleic Castle Glom. I've killed both bosses there but I still feel like there was some pretty large areas at the start that I never went into.

SPOILER! It's not the place from the trailer with all the dragons flying around it - in case you thought it would be, like me.

I'm only ahead because I got the game weeks before you, you're much faster than me..

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#220 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:20 am

Yeah I have 2 of those rings already. They are the best thing since the Lordvessel in game 1.