Renegades of the Storm

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
shindarak
Guild Master

Renegades of the Storm

#1 Post by shindarak » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:17 pm

it's official now: Heroes of the Storm has been released!

Anyone besides me playing this game. I hated pvp in WoW, but boy, do I love this game!

Hope to see any of you in there...... :ninja:
"Do it with style, or don’t do it at all." -Jazz-

"Come back you cowards! I'll bite your legs off!!!" -de-limbed black knight-

Kelodur
Rofficer

Re: Renegades of the Storm

#2 Post by Kelodur » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:10 am

I've played HotS since Alpha, but never found it to be much engaging. It's fun, but it can't touch Dota 2 or League of Legends or Smite in my book. It's just too casual if you're into MOBAs.
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#3 Post by Revolver » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:09 am

I don't even know what it is. :(

To Google!
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#4 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:39 am

I actually got a beta key. Nowhere near the start but before it was open beta.

Played it for about 20-30 minutes. Hated it.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Fienasre
Legend

#5 Post by Fienasre » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:11 pm

I played one or two versus games and a bunch of AI games. I quite enjoyed it but it needs communication. Headsets and skype connections are almost necessary to play a good game. So if people are interested. We need to form a guild!...
│o_

shindarak
Guild Master

#6 Post by shindarak » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:44 pm

its a game like DOTA or LoL :-)

5 vs. 5 all heroes from blizzard games. Destroy base of opposition. Enjoy the spoils (xp and gold).

skype is a plus but not a must ;-)
"Do it with style, or don’t do it at all." -Jazz-

"Come back you cowards! I'll bite your legs off!!!" -de-limbed black knight-

Deathviper
Guild Master (Retired)

#7 Post by Deathviper » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:04 pm

I got a beta key too but I knew I would hate it even before playing :) It's just not my sort of game.
"Puny God!"

Kelodur
Rofficer

#8 Post by Kelodur » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:19 pm

Well, I have to admit I was wrong.

I never "got" the game, and often thought it was too casual friendly and too random in its outcomes. Then I made some google research and found out that there are a lot of DOTA/LOL fans that don't "get" why they lose in HotS. And this is because, while it is apparently a game of the same genre, it is quite a different game and it requires a very different approach.

So, I'll be more than happy to group up and play together if you'd like to. Expecially if I get to scream @ Fien. Nothing beats screaming @ Fien, no matter what game we playing.
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

Fienasre
Legend

#9 Post by Fienasre » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:26 pm

Why... do I deserve this? Or is it something positive. We never had another chance at screaming in Destiny btw... or Driveclub! Where is the "crash into Fien" idea?! I get to practice on my cursing if you do!

I have not played any other MOBA's like DOTA and LOL but what are the differences? The maps themselves? The mini objectives that change the game every few minutes? The shared experience?
│o_

Kelodur
Rofficer

#10 Post by Kelodur » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Fien, you know I love you. I was just being funny. Or, well, unfunny. And you're one of the best swear-words user I know. Let's just all scream together!

On topic, HotS is different in a lot of ways. I'll try to give you a summary on the main differences and how this impacts the gameplay.

Last hitting: this is a BIG part of the gameplay of any other MOBA. In HotS, if an enemy creep dies around any hero of your team, your team gets the XP from that creep. Last hitting rears his head only with some heroes (i.e. if you "poison" creeps and then change lane, you can actually get the XP from those creeps even if no one is around by having a source of damage on them), and even then it's nothing as complicated as in other MOBA. This means that you can freely spam your creep killing abilities in lane without having to concentrate on the health bars and having to mind only your positioning relative to the enemy heroes and your mana bar. This changes the flow of the game completely and makes it mechanically far more simpler.

Hero killing XP / snowballing: in HotS, an early game hero kill is almost meaningless. Heroes are spawned again in no time, and early kills give you very limited XP. This means there is less snowballing in the game from early kills. Conversely, the heavy impact of killing heroes in the latter part of the game means that you can win a team fight and actually upset a game result that would be almost untouchable in another MOBA. This again changes the way you play the game A LOT, and allows newbie to die more freely at the hand of more expert players without giving away a game in 3 minutes.

Shared XP: Your team shares the same level and XP, which means there is no "let's gank the newbie" metagame, as no one ever gets behind in levels, and the games often stay within a manageable difference in levels from the beginning to the end. This also introduces a particular timing in the game as one team will get to lvl 10 before the other, meaning a team will have ALL its ultimate abilities ready at a time where the other time hasn't got them, which leads to a very interesting moment in the middle of the game.

Lack of carries: even with significant XP differences, it's rare to see in this game an hero manage to win even a 1v2 fight. Forget about those DOTA2 heroes killing 5 heroes by themselves in the end game, HotS has no place for individual feats. This means no one can single handedly win a game for his team, and also that no one can single handedly lose a game for his team. It also means all heroes, while each retains a peculiar "curve" of effectiveness, are useful from minute 1 to the end of the game.

Abilities and talent: there is no levelling of abilities (but for the ultimate ability you get @ lvl 10), which means you have all of them available @ lvl 1, and they will scale all together as your team level grows. There are no items, but each hero has a set of talent he can choose @ different levels that tailors the hero for that game. This gives you enough freedom to react to the other team composition and talents, without overwhelming you with possible choices and all in all it keeps the hero building part of the game far more manageable than with LoL of Dota2. No items also means no money, and that means again that there's no hero stuck with no money while the carry farm money, making the game far more enjoyable for every class.

Vision: seeing other heroes is far more simple in HotS, there are no wards to place around, and "ambushes" are definitely harder to pull. Having an hero missing in your lane doesn't mean that another lane is going to get raped soon, which helps with the brain dead population of mobas. If you can look at the minimap, you can easily know all you need to stay alive in HotS.

No jungling: neutral camps in this game are not used to get experience. The neutral creep you "kill" come back and help you push a lane, making the camp killing a strategical activity instead of a farming activity. This impacts the game in oh-so-many ways it's really hard to make any comparision. But keep in mind this: there are no junglers. Which means no continous ganking as in LOL. No single player farming. No jungle warding. The game is easier without a jungler, while the "mercenary" camps actually help create interesting strategical choices.

Objectives and maps: this is obviously the BIG one. There are a lot of different maps with different objectives. These objectives are used to create interesting gaming situations: from pulling all the heroes to the same place, to splitting the team and making everyone fight neutrals, to encourage hero killing... there's a lot of different objectives, and this makes the maps play very differently. Objectives are also often not gamechanging, meaning you often have to balance your act between pushing a lane and getting a REAL objective (i.e. a tower), o leaving a lane to get an objective that could help you get a REAL objective later (in example by spawning a big mob that helps you).

Time: the game is faster, every match takes max 20 minutes and there are no matches so unbalanced that you can only wait for the game to finish while your opponent rapes every hole in your body.

All in all, this is truly a very different beast from LOL / DOTA. It doesn't punish you for not having lightning reflexes or great mechanics, it's far more newbie friendly and it encourages team play with the smart use of objectives. And, in Blizzard tradition, it's far more deep than a first look might suggest.