War Never Changes (official Fallout 4 thread)

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
TroyBlade
Rofficer

Re: War Never Changes (official Fallout 4 thread)

#11 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Yes pretty sure you can put anything you like in there. And there isn't a limit to how many things you can search for (that I have reached anyway) at the same time. It's just, I don't ever see anything. I don't even know what something you are searching for looks like when you find it.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Fienasre
Legend

#12 Post by Fienasre » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:06 pm

I have shitty answer... I'll go and figure it out when I play again :ninja:
Just stick to Payday for the time being an I will try to figure some stuff out!
What do you think of the look and feel? You obviously played a bit more than I have and am keen to know your experience as of yet.
│o_

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#13 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:53 pm

Bear in mind that I'm really not very far in. You could reach me in less than an hour I reckon, if you didn't do any pottering about. Things I like so far:

The scenery.
The base tidying (I like neatness).
The fact that I don't have a million side quests (yet). I have 3 quests - 1 is way way over there so I'm ignoring that for now. 1 is to make home improvements, which I want to do anyway. So I have 1 actual ongoing quest - great.
The crafting and modding of weapons and armour.
The combat is fine too, unless there are little things attacking my ankles. I really suck at that. Waste so much ammo.
Scavenging. Or, the fact that if you spend time looking around, you can find things that actually make all that looking around worthwhile.
Dogmeat.
Just walking around, I found a "dungeon". Skyrim style. An instance with enemies and loot. That was nice.

Things I dislike:

The graphics of NPC faces. It looks pretty dated.
"Dogmeat found something". Great. So where the fuck is he?
The inevitable quest bloat that will happen sooner rather than later.
The UI for placing stuff you built. It has a snap to logical place mechanic that doesn't work too well in all situations.
I've had 1 brief graphical glitch. Like a spasm of the whole screen. I have heard/read that graphical glitches are frequent.
Loading times. Mostly fine but occasionally, you enter an "instanced" building and then leave after just a few seconds. Well, here's 2 loading time waits for you.

Deathviper
Guild Master (Retired)

#14 Post by Deathviper » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:14 pm

Have played quite a lot over the last week, am loving it so far, it's Fallout 3 but with almost everything improved.

Power Cores cannot be recharged you have to find new ones, they are relatively rare so you certainly can't use your power armour all the time, you should save it for the harder moments, or if you want to try and do content you clearly are too low level for. I've not needed to use it at all so far just doing the main quest line and side stuff that doesn't involve traveling too far.

If you tag a resource then any piece of junk that contains that item will appear with a magnifying glass next to it.

When you make it to the first main area in the quest line unfortunately you will end up with tonnes of side quests.

I like to use VATS when enemies get close as aiming can be a pain then, and make sure you have a shotgun on hand.

I've heard a lot of complaints about bugs (not exactly a surprise in a Bethesda game) but I've not encountered many so far, certainly nothing major. The only one of note is that a merchants cow spawned on top a building in Sanctuary, but it's actually quite handy as the merchant now never leaves as the cow is stuck up there.

I've hardly done any base building apart from the quests to get the xp. The gun/armour modding is great though it adds so much more variety to the game rather than getting a good gun and then keeping it for the rest of the game like in 3.
"Puny God!"

Fienasre
Legend

#15 Post by Fienasre » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:33 am

I had an issue with the first mission in Concord. I broke the questline by shutting down to go to sleep. Afterwards the "Kill all enemies in Concord" part of the mission never got finished. Had to redo a couple of hours of work and finish the whole thing in one go to make it work. Now the dude with the Civil War hat disappeared into nothingness though... Is he important in Sanctuary? Anyway... haven't played since finishing that mission.
│o_

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#16 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:09 pm

Disappeared from Concord to end that quest or never arrived in Sanctuary with the rest of them?

If you fast travelled back to Sanctuary like me, he isn't there with the other guys, he is standing at the bridge into town.

Fienasre
Legend

#17 Post by Fienasre » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:31 pm

He vanished when the group was travelling from Concord to Sanctuary. So maybe he arrived by now. Will have a look this evening.
│o_

Fienasre
Legend

#18 Post by Fienasre » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:39 am

I found him! He was just trotting around town when I logged in. Excellent!
Afterwards I further scavenged Concord a bit, made some beds for the ppz of Sanctuary and found a dig site with a guy and a pump. Had to log off after fixing it for him. I did get to understand the "search" function. Just hover over an item to see if it holds the required material. Did not see the function to use the map to find stuff, though. Or did I misunderstand that part?
│o_

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#19 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:04 pm

No map, no.

So, you have to be in workshop mode for the search thing to work or?

Fienasre
Legend

#20 Post by Fienasre » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:26 am

You can activate the search thing in the workshop yes. But then throughout the world items will be accompanied by a icon to show that it holds the required mats. But sometimes it doesn't I guess... I triggered the aluminium mat as such, picked up a dozen items with the icon next to it. Still can't make the suppressor for my 10mm pistol. So, it needs some more investigation!
│o_