...now only embers remain. (Official Dark Souls 3 Thread)

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
TroyBlade
Rofficer

Re: ...now only embers remain. (Official Dark Souls 3 Thread)

#151 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:21 pm

S2 was better. Actually only for the first 4 or 5 episodes, but that's enough for it to be better.

No worries Fien, I had a good time with my sorcerer anyway. Found myself with a renewed passion for the game, which is nice with the DLC coming up.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Fienasre
Legend

#152 Post by Fienasre » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:09 pm

@ Rev: I like it as well. Only at e3 though. Can't comment much yet on the story, character development etc.
Wrong thread though!!!

My main char binge played from Aldritch, via Yhorm, to the princes within 3 hours or so. Really enjoyed it as well.
It's still a great game.
│o_

Kelodur
Rofficer

#153 Post by Kelodur » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:08 am

I'm playing it for the first time, and I find it to have the best balance between farming / difficulty / bosses of all the Souls game (Bloodborne included). I have progressed steadily more often than not, struggling enough but not to much, and never had any "fuck this" moment so far. I only had to pause a little to farm before the tree boss, but that's just because you don't make enough souls in the first few levels at all (another standard for Dark Souls).

I've killed the dog, the tree, the sage and the horde of clerics so far. I am not using a walkthru aside from reading where I should go next to avoid difficulty spikes, and to read about weapons and the like, and I'm loving the way the levels interconnect. I don't get lost as much as I used to do in DS1, I don't know if it's just me getting used to the design or if the game is better at showing you the different paths you can follow.

So far, looks like it could well be the best of the series, contending the place to Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, which were my favourites.
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#154 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:58 am

If I had one issue with DS3 it's that the bosses are too easy. I don't think I should be running through 1-shotting everything on my 2nd playthrough. (I've done the start of the game a few times but only the first couple of bosses.)

That's not a massive problem though. And there ARE some challenges ahead.

As far as the level interconnectivity, I think it's great for a first timer but as soon as you know the layout, then Dark Souls 1 is infinitely better. I don't think you ever have more than 2 options of what zone to do next in DS3. Unless you do the thing with the thing and kill spoiler early, which is probably not something I could do without serious help.

In DS1 you can go to stupid places early and get access to all kinds of weapons/spells/upgrades if you can handle it.

Overall I think I agree though, DS3 is the best of them.

They really should remaster Demons Souls though. I really don't get why they haven't done it already. They could just get someone else to do it..

Kelodur
Rofficer

#155 Post by Kelodur » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:39 pm

I think the problem with a remaster of Demon's Souls is that Demon's Souls is a Playstation exclusive that's been developed jointly by Sony Japan and From Software. So a Remaster would be PS4 only, and I don't really know if that would be enough to support the sales of a remaster of such a niche game. The remaster would also need to run at 60 fps, and the Souls game actually use a frame by frame collision detection routine that's directly tied to the rendering. Upgrading Dark Souls 2 to 60 fps made sense as they needed to change the renderer for Dark Souls 3, but I'm not sure that the work is retrofittable to Demon's Souls.
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#156 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:21 pm

The "niche game" aspect is an advantage. It basically means that not many people played it originally. But now, lots of people are into Soulsborne and would definitely be interested.

Anyway, I'd buy a PS4 version that wasn't a remaster. Maybe we'll get that one day.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#157 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:10 am

I absolutely did not 1 shot Aldrich on my second playthrough.

To be fair, I never learned it properly the first time, I just got Fien to help.

I also had a death on the Old Demon King but that was just because I forgot about the Predator moment. And a couple of deaths on the Dancer, just because I suck.

Also, some of the 1 shots are because I'm now fully in mage cheese mode.

In conclusion, maybe I was harsh saying the bosses are too easy.

Fienasre
Legend

#158 Post by Fienasre » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:52 am

Aldrich, if you can't burn it down, is a huge Biatch. Some are genuinely easy, I think but a lot of the bosses are still hard, really hard.
│o_

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#159 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:32 pm

So, I finished my Sorcerer run. In general, some bosses and areas were made super easy. Some were harder. As you'd expect really. It was a little annoying that one of the super build defining items you don't get until almost the end of the game.

So then, it made sense to get the find all sorceries trophy, with my sorcerer. Which meant I needed rank 1 in the Aldrich Faithful. Which meant I did some PvP..

It started badly, because I'm such a pro at PvP that as an Aldrich Faithful, you invade as a blue phantom. And I thought blue phantoms were there to protect the innocent. So it took me a few invasions to realise that only Blue Sentinels do that. I was meant to kill the host, not die to the other invaders..

So then I had about 15 invasions where I actually knew what I was meant to do. Most of them, I was summoned into a world with 4 guys (the host and 3 red phantoms) sitting around taking it in turns to kill me. The annoying thing is that only the red phantoms fought me, so even if I'd won, I wouldn't get the rewards.

Not that I'd have beaten the host either, I expect.

I had 1 genuine 1 on 1 PvP victory. 1 where I showed up and the guy died/suicided instantly before I even saw him. And 2 where we as invaders outnumbered the host. In fact thinking about it, in those 15 invasions, I probably had a 1 v 1 fight on that one occasion. Even that wasn't genuinely 1 v 1, because there was a red phantom who with honour, waited for our fight to finish.

But anyway, it took me about 2 hours of farming clerics after Sulyvhan whilst getting summoned as an invader, to get the 10 human dregs I needed. 6 of them just from drops in my own game.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably make sure I got the Symbol of Avarice and farmed them all instead of doing some pvp.

Next up, same again but with a pyromancer.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#160 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:18 pm

The DLC is out a day early, thanks to it being released on the Bone a few days early by accident.

Now, to decide whether to try and find it, or to look up where the hell it starts..