...now only embers remain. (Official Dark Souls 3 Thread)

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
TroyBlade
Rofficer

Re: ...now only embers remain. (Official Dark Souls 3 Thread)

#161 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:10 pm

This doesn't seem to be true on PS4 at least.

Strangely, the articles that state that the dlc is out early, give times for Steam and the Bone and say 6am CET tomorrow for PS4. But that's the actual release date, so it's later than the worst case of midnight tonight. Bah.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Fienasre
Legend

#162 Post by Fienasre » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:05 am

Go in blind! New Playthrough and see what changed? If it has anything to do with painting... you know where to look first, right?

I only know for sure that I'm not getting it at launch. We are trying to adjust sleeping patterns and this would just ruin it. So spoiler stuff please, thanks. :p
│o_

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#163 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:49 am

I thought about the DLC for DS1 and decided that it would take me about a year to find it. So I looked it up.

And it turns out that it's not complicated at all. Go to the right place and you are unlikely to miss it.

On the other hand, there is no puzzle to solve. No challenge. You might as well just find out..

I've been in there for a while. I didn't find anything significant before I ran out of Estus and left.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#164 Post by Kelodur » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:20 pm

TroyBlade wrote:If I had one issue with DS3 it's that the bosses are too easy. I don't think I should be running through 1-shotting everything on my 2nd playthrough. (I've done the start of the game a few times but only the first couple of bosses.)

That's not a massive problem though. And there ARE some challenges ahead.
So far I found the bosses really well balanced on difficulty. Most of them needed several trials to understand their attack patterns, but it never felt frustrating or too easy for me. I loved the fact that you didn't have any kind of "potion farming" to do in between the tries either.

I think you're actually one-shotting everything because of three factors:
1) The bosses are more of the kind of "if you get down how to beat me, you can do it without taking almost any damage" variety. I recall several bosses in DS1 wiping me at 5% of their HP and the likes, while the DS3 bosses damage you far less when they finally "click". I guess they are more predictable and less random, which is not necessarily a good or bad thing.
2) You know when to farm and when to go for it on your second playthru. Aldrich at level 50 looked almost unbeatable to me, but at level 60 with 35 strength I burned him so fast that most of his attacks became irrelevant. TBH I feel like the level difference rewards you with far more than in previous games, but maybe I'm wrong.
3) Most of the bosses just don't do enough to counter ranged or "run-in" strategies. You wait for the right attack to come up while you dodge the rest of the incoming attacks, then run in with a double handed sword or just spam projectiles from afar, and then repeat. Staying far away from a boss in other Souls games triggered some of the most dangerous attacks, and / or many encounters had very small arenas that limited your movements (CAPRA!).

Still, I love the balance of Dark Souls 3 more than any other souls game. The only complaint I have so far is that I wanted the shields to be better than this. You're too easily staggered and rolling all over the place is basically the only way to do thing rights. I love it that way, but after running DS1 as a rogue and after playing Bloodborne, I would have loved to go back to the "slow tank" archetype.
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#165 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:58 pm

I haven't noticed any issues with shields. Maybe it's harder to obtain a good one? I know my first character ended up with a hmm, that's a bit spoilerish, but anyway, a shield that you can't get until very late. And then I actually spent proper mats, including a Slab (Did you know you can get 8 (EIGHT) slabs per playthrough?), to get it to +5.

Trump played DS3 and put all the boss fights on youtube. He used a giant shield for everything, although there were one or 2 bosses where he eventually decided that he had to dodge a bit. But even then, it was like - I have to dodge the last attack of this 4 attack combo. He was terrible by the way. it was quite amusing.

Aldrich is the hardest boss for me. Is that because I'm trying it lower than your level 60? I honestly can't remember but there's a good chance.

There's also a late boss that definitely would be harder, except my last 2 playthroughs were with sorcerer and a hybrid pyromancer so your point 3 came into effect with it.

Anyway, I stand by it. The bosses are the easiest of the souls games. And the trash is the hardest. In my opinion. Although the hard trash is countered somewhat by the generous bonfires. So even though the trash is harder, it still doesn't take as long to get through a section to the next "checkpoint".

By the way, I actually died like 3 times to Deacons of the Deep with my Pyromancer. I mean, it's not quite PinWheel but it's not far.. I guess they are resistant to fire or something. Anyway, there is a soft time limit, which I won't explain for spoilers, but that people probably don't know about since it never takes that long. Or you can probably avoid it by
Spoiler!
killing all of the blue caster dudes quickly. The ones who cast Dark spells rather than the usual fireball spells.
In general, I still love the game. I've been spending hours farming covenant materials for the achievements and I don't find it boring at all. Still happy that we have something new now though.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#166 Post by Kelodur » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:57 am

TroyBlade wrote:Anyway, I stand by it. The bosses are the easiest of the souls games. And the trash is the hardest. In my opinion. Although the hard trash is countered somewhat by the generous bonfires. So even though the trash is harder, it still doesn't take as long to get through a section to the next "checkpoint".
Honestly, I found trash in DS2 far more annoying than the one you find in DS3, swarming you and often killing you by outsmarting the camera controls. And Bloodborne has some trash packs that are quite difficult, I remember the starting packs being quite hard, too. But yeah, there are some really hard packs in DS3... but since you can skip most trash, it doesn't really count.

That's another great thing of DS3: if you want to 100% it, you will have to fight some really hard fights even outside of the boss fights (the one for the covenant you're in springs to mind, I abandoned trying it some time ago).

Aldrich is really dependant on the damage you can make to it. If you can trigger its double swipe, then you can go in and do damage for a while. I think I took around 1/6th of his health every time I went in when I killed him (using a +6 butcher knife with two hands @ 35 Str), making the fight quite short and definitely easier than when I was hovering at around 25 Str.

My issue with shields is that even at +5, most bosses will stagger you if you just block a chain of attacks even at full stamina, making them really not that useful against bosses but for some damage mitigation when you can't avoid an AOE attack (switching back and forth 1 and 2 hand weapon handling) . It actually doesn't seem linked to stamina, but probably it's a poise related thing? I don't really understand poise and stability. But, 2 handed butcher's knife does so much damage that I can survive not being able to use a shield with it :D.

Also: Dungeon of Irythill is probably the most annoying place of all Dark Souls since Sen's Castle?
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#167 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:11 am

Sen's Fortress is AWESOME.

I think you're overestimating shields vs bosses in the earlier games. But equally, I could be wrong.

The Butcher Knife is my favourite DS1 weapon. I haven't even tried it in 3. You even get it pretty early.. I think I have a character suitable for it who is not far away. Excellent. Actually, I think I didn't try it yet because it's not buffable in this game? That rings a bell..

My most annoying DS3 zone for me comes later - The Grand Archives. I'm pretty sure Fien was fine with it though so it may not be for you. Irithyll Dungeon is not so bad when you realise the thing there is to realise about the health leeching mobs.

I killed the first boss in the DLC. Although it might be the second boss because I swear there's a boss I found where I simply can't find the door. Anyway, it was pretty crappy by Dark Souls boss standards. In general, not overly impressed by the DLC so far. It's no Artorias of the Abyss, that's for certain.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#168 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:32 pm

Ok that's a proper boss fight. This one might take me a while..

Much happier with the whole of the second half of the DLC. Is it value for money? Perhaps not when compared to the main game, or previous DLCs. But, it's good! Saw some complaints that it only takes 2 hours. Well, slow old me took 8 hours and I still need to kill the 2nd boss.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#169 Post by Kelodur » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:12 am

TroyBlade wrote:Irithyll Dungeon is not so bad when you realise the thing there is to realise about the health leeching mobs.
I think I haven't realised that thing by now, and I'm done with the place :D. But the annoying thing is the bad level design, getting out the first half of the place and into the final part of it took me several runs just to understand WHERE I had to go. Maybe I was half blind, but I think it was completely lacking any visual cue on where you should go, and the symmetrical structure of the prison didn't help at all in mentally mapping the place out.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#170 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:14 am

Isn't the first half of it, the design of the prison in the Tower of Latria. Except, FAR LESS COMPLICATED.

Maybe you did realise the thing but didn't register that it was a thing worth realising.
Spoiler!
They can't kill you with the life drain. Your health stops at 1. So there is no need to panic. No need to heal. Just a minor need to not get hit.