Westworld (Please use Spoilers)

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

Re: Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

#1 Post by Revolver » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:27 pm

Is anybody else watching Westworld? I thought this week's was brilliant, and pretty much confirmed my suspicions that...
Spoiler!
...we are watching multiple timelines play out at the same time. Particularly for Dolores. I'm not sure if the one with the two guys (god I'm shit at remembering names, but the good guy and the bad guy, work for the same company, you know who I mean) is right back at the start and will lead up to the "incident" they keep talking about, but that would make a lot of sense. And when we see her alone in those same locations, it's the current time where she's out of her loop. The head honcho at the town they arrived at yesterday being the same guy Ed Harris is leading around confirms that we're definitely watching different timelines, doesn't it? Unless they have two copies of that dude, but we haven't seen that before.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#2 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:34 pm

Of all the new tv, I think it's the biggest disappointment for me. At least when you consider the scale, budget and expectation. Mrs Troy has already given up on it. I watched 3 I think. I haven't given up yet but it doesn't have much priority for me.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#3 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:36 pm

Actually that's probably a bit misleading. It's mostly returning tv that has higher priority. The exceptions being The Exorcist for sure and probably even Designated Survivor.

northwestdakota
Rofficer

#4 Post by northwestdakota » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:33 pm

I have watched the first 2 episodes and similar to Troy, I haven't given up on it, but it's very much low priority. To be honest, these days if I go more than 2 nights without watch a Sons of Anarchy episode I get grumpy.

Westworld just feels slow moving and very serious. Ill watch a couple more at least, but im not convinced by it at all.
I don't hear as good as I used to, and I ain't as pretty as I used to be. But I'm still here - I'm the Ram.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#5 Post by Revolver » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:43 pm

Oh, it's definitely slow. I think it's worth sticking with, though. Although it's actually the only thing I'm watching at the moment, so I can't compare it to anything else. So yeah, it's the best thing I'm watching!
Stealth is an option.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#6 Post by Revolver » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:45 pm

Yeah, it is. You can read this spoiler...
Spoiler!
Although I'm not so convinced about the Man in Black thing - We've seen nothing to hint at that, other than that he knows Dolores, but so must thousands of other visitors.
Don't read the other spoilers though, as there's a bit in Ep 4 or 5 which would be a proper spoiler.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#7 Post by TroyBlade » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:27 am

So I'm caught up now.

You said I'd rip all your theories to shreds. I can't do that at all, although
Spoiler!
There's something not quite right. Dolores is with William (you're welcome) and the asshat (can't help with his name) several times when she has these flashbacks. But you're claiming that William and asshat are from 30 years ago and the flashbacks are to 30 years ago..

I should try and find that article again that claimed to disprove the William is MiB theory, because I haven't spotted the thing that makes it not true, that I can recall.

The only other thing I got, is that it seems obvious to me that Arnold is not dead. And if he is alive, then he is Wyatt. Or perhaps he never existed or he was only ever a robot created by Ford. Or perhaps Ford is a robot created by Arnold. Or something. I guarantee you I'm right in there somewhere.

I'm definitely confused about the Maze. Why would there be a fucking maze? Argh.

I'm also confused about the 2 lab guys. Did they admit that they were in on something or did I misunderstand that bit?

And lastly I'm confused about Ford's motivations. Sometimes I think he's sabotaging the place. And then I think he's just trying to find Arnold to stop him from sabotaging the place.

Oh wait I'm not done with being confused. The black guy, name begins with B? He seems to be in on something as well. Some of the time at least.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#8 Post by Revolver » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:47 am

Bernard? He's...
Spoiler!
totally a host. Possibly even running Arnold's downloaded consciousness.

As for her flashbacks, I just think that's clever editing, done like that to confuse us. Maybe.

You Arnold theories didn't include the one that he's the old cowboy host that Ford chats to all the time. Is that too obvious?

I don't think we really know anything about the lab guys yet. And if we do, I missed it.
Do you at least like it a bit more now? Eps 4 and 5 were AMAZING telly, I thought. That whole bit with Ford and the woman in the restaurant was fantastic.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#9 Post by TroyBlade » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:01 am

It's certainly intriguing. The priority has gone up a lot yes but perhaps that's because I want answers more than I actually enjoy it now.
Spoiler!
I think the old cowboy is called Bill. So that's William then. Sorted.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#10 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:41 pm

Westworld 1.6.
Spoiler!
I knew I'd heard the lab guys admit they were up to something. Although their pimping isn't particularly relevant in the scheme of things.

I want to guess that Asshat's company is the one that's doing the espionage. But that doesn't work if Asshat is from 35 years ago.

And the guy who grabbed whatsherface at the end, is clearly someone we haven't met yet therefore it must be Arnold or an Arnoldbot.

I didn't really like this episode much. Again.

It's weird that something that looks so good, is really well acted, has some interesting questions that I want the answers to, really doesn't do much to entertain me.

I might have put my finger on a reason why though; I like action, as you know. Some of my favourite tv is the new Marvel stuff which is almost pure action. I'm that shallow it seems.

So Westworld has action right? Last night there was the huge gunfight at the border tunnel. But, that's not action at all. MiB can't be hurt, Teddy just gets rebuilt if he is killed. And the 40 guys on the other side are nobodies who also just get rebuilt. There are no consequences. Therefore the action is pointless.