Welcome, Commander (Official Elite Dangerous Thread)

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

Welcome, Commander (Official Elite Dangerous Thread)

#1 Post by Revolver » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:19 pm

Useful Links:

EDDB - Elite Dangerous Database. Seems to have pretty much everything you could ever need, rendering most of the other links useless.

Coriolis - Great resource for planning your ship builds/outfits, or just dicking around and looking at the stuff you can't afford yet.

INARA - I'm not sure what this is, but it's got a great guide to all the ships and stuff. Similar to EDDB I guess, but I like the look of this more.

Youtube - ObsidianAnt - A veteran ED player with a series of videos showing how to get started on the PS4. Has the most soothing voice you can imagine.

Original Post:

I've been thinking about setting myself a long-term goal, and the Federal Navy sounds like it could be interesting.

I read up a bit on ranking up. Troy, you mentioned you were at 100%, so that means you need to find a specific mission, apparently:
How much progress one has made toward a rank can be seen in the right HUD panel, in the Reputation section of the Status tab. The current rank is shown by name along with a percentage indicator to show the progress made towards the next rank.

Once the rank indicator reaches 100%, the player will be able to find special Federation Navy missions that will promote the user to the next rank.

While the percentage indicator will not indicate more than 100%, the player is able to complete non-navy missions beyond that level and then complete several Navy missions in a row.

The Navy missions show up randomly alongside normal missions in the mission board and often require a "friendly" standing with the issuing minor faction. The missions can be identified by the name; they usually include "Federal Navy...", eg. "Federal Navy Aquisition Contract".
My Cobra seems like a nice step up from the Adder, even with the limited upgrades I fitted last night. It should certainly last me a while.

Still not really worried about making any money. I suppose I'll have to at some point.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

Re: Welcome Commander - The Elite Dangerous Topic

#2 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Yeah I found that mission. that's the pirate I was looking for for ages. I want to claim that the mission bugged somehow because it just disappeared after I killed the pirate. Not failed, just vanished.

Anyway I found a new Imperial Navy mission and did that in my lunch break.

I can also report that when you are stuck at 100% rank, then don't worry, you must still be earning towards the next rank because I am now at 100% of the next rank as well.

Remember that thing I was saying about the 2 systems right next to each other but 300ly from everything else? They are Federal systems, so perfect for you if you want that rep and rank. Having cargo space helps with the credit side of it though.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

Re: Welcome Commander - The Elite Dangerous Topic

#3 Post by Revolver » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:42 pm

TroyBlade wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:39 pm
Remember that thing I was saying about the 2 systems right next to each other but 300ly from everything else? They are Federal systems, so perfect for you if you want that rep and rank. Having cargo space helps with the credit side of it though.
Cool, cheers. And grats on the rank up!

Would there be any benefit to us both being Imperial Navy, rather than having me in the Federal one?
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

Re: Welcome, Commander - The Elite Dangerous Topic

#4 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm fairly sure that;

The Empire and the Federation are not in conflict with each other.
You can happily rank up both at the same time.

It's possible that there are things in the game that you will want to do, that will upset one side or the other, but I don't know what those things might be, other than Community Goals, which you can just ignore if that's an issue.

Speaking of community goals, they seem to pay out a lot. I haven't tried any yet. I think they reset on Thursdays (no clue if that's EU, US or what time) and will definitely try them out this week.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#5 Post by Revolver » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:49 pm

Yeah, everybody says there a great way to make money, even if you're not in the top ranks. The last batch were so far out of my range that I didn't even bother reading them. :)

Good news about the factions. I'm definitely going Federation first, as the ships look more bad-ass. And it's all about how bad-ass the ships look.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#6 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Yeah I was looking at the Federal Assault ship earlier, as possibly my next target purchase. To use for Bounty hunting. It was going to be a Vulture but they only have 2 hard points. 4 hard points must be better. Must be. It's like, twice as many.

And I'm Petty Officer in the Federation already, plus 50%. So that 50% is all I need I think.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#7 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 pm

I should mention that I got those ranks in the Federation without doing any rank up navy missions.

And now that I just typed that, I realise, that I probably did do those rank up missions, I just never noticed what they were at the time.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#8 Post by Revolver » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Yeah, I've no idea what the missions I've been doing are, although I've not really done any compared to you. When I get on tonight I need to do a bit more reading about what I'm actually doing, rather than just choosing the ones with the best rewards or that look the most fun.

By the way, I've been having a lot more luck taking out pirates with missiles than with cannons or beams. But that's probably because they have better homing capabilities and I'm a rubbish shot.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#9 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Just missiles? How many missiles do you get? Or to put it another way, how many fights before you have to go back and reload?

I suppose that's not an issue if you just have a kill so and so mission that you then want to hand in anyway.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#10 Post by Revolver » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:42 pm

I've got two missile launchers, and I've done a grand total of two kill missions without returning to base. I've not run out of ammo yet, but probably been close. It looks like you get about 10 shots per launcher, or something. I do use my frickin' lasers as well, just to start them off.

In other news, I'm working from home tomorrow. I wonder how many times I'll over-shoot my destination while on the phone/emails/whatever. Going to be epic.
Stealth is an option.