Insert Tagline Here (the official Monster Hunter World thread)

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
TroyBlade
Rofficer

Re: Insert Tagline Here (the official Monster Hunter World thread)

#181 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:31 am

If you order every monster into a list. Then every monster easier than say Legiana is tier 1. Everything from Legiana to Black Diablos is tier 2. And the tempered dragons (not incl. Kirin) are tier 3.

If you are out in the world, and see, examine tracks, or break a part of, a monster. Eventually you will get new investigations, which can be from a totally different monster than what you saw, tracked or broke. But those investigations are from a monster in the same tier.

So once you start getting tempered investigations, you start to collect them at an exponential rate. Exponential might be exaggerating a little but do all attempts of an Investigation, you are going to find more than 1 new one, on average.

The problem, for me, was getting the first one in tier 2. But that's all sorted now, because of the "Simple Task".

I should also say, that you can tell which tier a monster is from, because of the "Threat Level" that is shown when you spot/track/break them. And also when you get the new investigation, it has a level requirement, of HR13, HR30 or HR50, for the 3 tiers.

And other than that, the reason we want tier 2 tempered investigations, is that tier 2 tempered investigations are the best way of getting the rarer gems. The reward rates for gems are such that time taken for a tier 3 investigation vs a tier 2 one, it's way more efficient to do tier 2. And there aren't any gems that you can only get from tier 3 investigations. It's just a little better chance.

HOWEVER.

Last night, I was trying to do Tempered Kirin. And while picking up his footsteps, I got 2 tier 3 tempered investigations. (And 1 tier 2). So my assertion that you only get them from the same tier as your sight/tracking/breaking is not correct. I don't know if Kirin is special or what.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#182 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:42 am

So yeah, about that tempered Kirin..

It doesn't really seem doable with my current set up. I wonder if you got Thunder Resist level 3, and then used the Thunder Mantle, do those 2 things stack? They probably do..

It's probably not helping that my armour has -10 Thunder resist as well.

Maybe, just maybe, I could try and kill it by using the Thunder Mantle, then when the mantle wears off, run away, or better still, use a Farcaster. I have no idea if doing that would leave me with enough time to kill it. My gut feeling is that I would probably need to do some mantle-less fighting for a while. Probably best in that wide open space with the vigour wasps. The problem with that, is if you are fighting him, the mantle wears off, you are in a shitty spot on the map, so you run away. You wait for the mantle. You return to Kirin. You hit the mantle. You hit Kirin. And he runs away. You now have to wait ages for the mantle again.

Maybe I'll try my fire long sword on it to see if that goes better but I doubt I would kill it any faster.

Or maybe I'll try and learn bow.

Or maybe I'll wait and let Rev kill it for me.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#183 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:47 am

Oh and as I understand it (which I might not).

Blast damage is a status ailment that builds up, just like paralysis or poison. or even Stun, which isn't an element on a weapon but works the same way. So after you built up enough of it, it goes off.

120 doesn't sound like very much. But I have no idea how often it happens. Undoubtedly it goes off more often than paralysis or stun.

Reyes
Rofficer

#184 Post by Reyes » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:18 pm

TroyBlade wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:31 am
If you order every monster into a list. Then every monster easier than say Legiana is tier 1. Everything from Legiana to Black Diablos is tier 2. And the tempered dragons (not incl. Kirin) are tier 3.

HOWEVER.

Last night, I was trying to do Tempered Kirin. And while picking up his footsteps, I got 2 tier 3 tempered investigations. (And 1 tier 2). So my assertion that you only get them from the same tier as your sight/tracking/breaking is not correct. I don't know if Kirin is special or what.
Kirin is in fact tier 3. I think you can randomly get t2 investigations from t1 tracks though. Tempered Kirin is apparently horrible to actually fight but great to follow around and farm tempered tracks.

I got my first augment stone from Tempered Diablos, but it was for sword & shield / dual blades. Diablos has been fairly reasonable for a tier 2 tempered; I've only wiped once and that was for stupid reasons (hit during the Vitality Mantle animation; tried to fire a screamer pod with my weapon drawn). But I've exhausted the sweet 4-reward investigation I had, so now I only have a 2-reward one with a normal Pukei as well. I have investigations for Uragaan and Black Diablos but apparently they're really hard.

I got my first Earplugs decoration, and a bunch of other gems between tempered hunts and Triple Threat, so I have a lot more flexibility in my build now. I was running 3x Health Boost and 3x Speed Sharpening, but with the Xeno 3-piece sharpening is a lot less important, so those have become flex slots; Miasma for Vaal Hazak, &c.

I started learning bow. I picked it up just to farm screamer pods, but then I thought I might as well learn how to do it properly. The hardest thing I've done with it so far is Triple Threat though. I haven't worked out what my build should be. Legiana set bonus seems good but the actual armour skills aren't great.
"Now all we need is some mood music...like whale songs"

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#185 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Yeah most of my tier 2 investigations have extra monsters attached.. I don't recall if I have any Diablos. I got one with 5 rewards. I didn't even know it went as high as 5.

I really, REALLY, want my Health Boost back. No gems. I might go back to the armour that I was wearing when I killed the elder dragons for the first time. Dober Mail, IIRC.

I think I'll spend my lunch break doing Triple Threat before it rotates out tonight.

Reyes
Rofficer

#186 Post by Reyes » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:52 pm

I forgot to mention that on my bow run of Triple Threat I killed the Jagras and Girros simultaneously with a Dragon Piercer. It was very cool

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#187 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Heh. I did hit 2 monsters with the final blow of my big bang combo for over 400 damage each during triple threat, but I didn't kill either of them..

Ok so I got bored of Triple Threat and decided to have a go at Kirin.

I switched out my Stun resist to Thunder resist (and promptly got stunned within about 20 seconds). And crafted the Ingot Gloves Beta for Health Boost lvl 2.

So I went with 16 Thunder Resist instead of -10.

And killed it with no carts..

I did think I'd made a mistake at one point - he went to sleep, so I fast traveled to camp to restock on potions - and when I got back he was awake again.. But he did go back to sleep soon after.

It's super anecdotal evidence obviously - but seriously that 26 Thunder Resist difference plus the extra HP made it so easy. I reckon the big hits were hitting me for 40% of my health instead of 80. It's also possible that I just got lucky and didn't take any of the really big ones while the Thunder Mantle was down.

So no more quests until level 100 I believe. I don't even know what that quest is. But I suppose I'd have a guess that it's tempered final boss guy?

Reyes
Rofficer

#188 Post by Reyes » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:41 pm

It's Kushala, Nerg and Teostra

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#189 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:54 pm

I can't do that in 50 minutes. Even if they weren't tempered difficulty. Maybe 70? I guess I'll just have to be better by the time that comes around.

Reyes
Rofficer

#190 Post by Reyes » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:16 pm

I assume HP reduction is in effect