Insert Tagline Here (the official Monster Hunter World thread)

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
TroyBlade
Rofficer

Re: Insert Tagline Here (the official Monster Hunter World thread)

#201 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:52 pm

So I learned some QoL improvements yesterday.

When you talk to the handler, you can skip all of her dialogue by pressing options, instead of having to X your way through them all.
You can also press options at the monster kill screen which lets you start carving faster.
Sprinting does not cancel your healing potion animation like a dodge would.
There are tailraiders outside in Astera. In the lowest level. You don't have to go in to your room, so you don't have to go through double loading screens.*
Anyone with dialogue that you have to X to get through, you can hold down circle and it runs through it all.**

* I cannot find them! Maybe I was being trolled? Anyone know where they are?
** This works, kinda. Except it's surely faster to just spam X instead.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Reyes
Rofficer

#202 Post by Reyes » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:03 pm

Apparently you can hold down circle to repeatedly carve/gather rather than spamming it

I knew about skipping monster death animations, it's basically required for the final boss

Don't know about the tailriders, maybe they just meant the research base? Doesn't really help at all. The safari seems pretty pointless by now anyway
"Now all we need is some mood music...like whale songs"

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#203 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Knew about holding circle to gather. It even does it faster than spamming X.

I stopped using Tailraiders for a while but mostly because I ran out of points. Now I use them again. I like doing them because they have the same timer as soft soil. So I use them as a reminder to fertilise. I would rather there was no loading screens though.

Reyes
Rofficer

#204 Post by Reyes » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm less concerned about remembering to fertilise since I collect most of the time anyway, and all my timers are synced now so it's a pretty large window to do it in

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#205 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:13 am

So I decided to find Deviljho before work. So I was tasked with investigating some "sightings". And I'd seen that they fought him in the Ancient Forest, in the Japanese update live stream.

So I wandered around the forest. No tracks. No sign. So then I decided maybe he only comes when you fight something. So I killed 3 monsters, before giving up.

And right before I had to go to work, I decided to look at the maps of the other areas, and sure enough, in the last place I looked, there was a ??? monster...

So I spent a few minutes over there anyway, and I have a quest for it now. Bring on lunch time.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#206 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:37 pm

Well it was yet another 1-shot monster.

But I didn't find it easy at all. Hard to hit and hard to avoid. Took me over 30 mins.

His head is too high in the air for me. And his tail is not a weak point. I spent a lot of time hitting things that weren't weak points in fact.

Didn't have time to look at all the weapons.

I did look at the armour. It seems underwhelming. But then most of the time I find the armour underwhelming.. Maybe there will be some uses.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#207 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:54 pm

So I'm still having some fun.

I go from spending 13 minutes to kill a chicken with Reyes, with my second gunlance fight (not sure what Reyes' excuse was) to doing a tempered Rathian in 10 minutes. Actually tempered Rathian is rather easy despite the clueless weapon use but yeah, still finding new things to try. I did try a Greatsword for a little while too but that was kind of like having a hammer with reach. And the movement speed penalty for having that reach doesn't seem like a good trade off.

Anyway gunlance, the offence seems rather easy. The movement is going to take some getting used to. And like Fien said recently about the lance, being able to block through stuff like Diablos' tunnelling and even charges to the face, is quite nice.

I will probably learn bow at some point as well. But other than that, I might be done with new weapons. I have a few now..

Reyes
Rofficer

#208 Post by Reyes » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:57 pm

My excuse is it was running away every 5 seconds. And it probably had more health because MP.

Anyway, I did tempered Kirin, with the bow. I had a 1-cart 15-minute non-tempered investigation that I did first to warm up. First two attempts I died very quickly. Third time I took it down. Then I did the tempered version first try, with only one cart. And that was mainly because the sidestep dodge really likes going along the lightning zones rather than out of them.

So then I was able to do the event quest and pick up a bunch of tempered elder tracks (mainly Vaal and Kushala though). I had a 5-reward 15-minute VH which I decided to SOS for. Used the bow again, got some randoms and it went very smoothly; I barely took any damage, and we finished with 5 minutes to spare. Got two more streamstones (not the right weapons) and a Poison Functionality decoration.

So I might be bow main now, at least for tough tempered fights. Maybe I should see how Deviljho is with the bow. Still need a bunch of Wyvern Gems to finish my gear though.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#209 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:35 pm

It's early days but I might be Gunlance main for tough tempered fights myself.

Is there somewhere I can find out about augmentation? Is it only after you get level 100?

Reyes
Rofficer

#210 Post by Reyes » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:43 pm

It just unlocks when you get your first streamstone drop