Insert Tagline Here (the official Monster Hunter World thread)

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
TroyBlade
Rofficer

Re: Insert Tagline Here (the official Monster Hunter World thread)

#131 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 pm

Nice!

Do you feel that the dragon weapon is essential?

I suppose I can just carry on without it and see..
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Reyes
Rofficer

#132 Post by Reyes » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:00 pm

It's difficult to say. It's not the dragon damage particularly (it's only 1* against Teostra, for one), but the elderseal, which is a very opaque mechanic. My understanding is that it reduces the passive effects that the elders have, but I'm not sure how much difference that makes. What I can say is I watched someone fighting Vaal Hazak on stream and he kept getting the effluvium max health reduction status, whereas when I did it I didn't at all. But I also had two Effluvium Resistance decorations in, so that probably helped too.

I did Kushala without the dragon weapon, so I guess I should try it now and see if it makes a difference to the wind buildup or whatever
"Now all we need is some mood music...like whale songs"

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#133 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:10 am

Yeah Vaal Hazak and Teostra both also first try, without a dragon weapon or any specific resistances.

Vaal Hazak seemed especially easy. I got my health cut in half(ish) several times but his damage is so low, being half health didn't make me start desperately healing when I took some damage. You can definitely wait for value from your potions.

Teostra has some stupid move that seems to nuke the whole room for about 80% of my health a couple of times. It was just blind luck (I presume) that I was at full health both times. He did still cart me once but I felt that was my fault.

I wonder why these 3 are so easy. Definitely had some legitimate tough points a couple of times in the game. Bazelgeuse by far the worst for me at around 9 attempts (ran out of 30m time on many of those). But these? I don't even have 2 of the armour pieces that I was supposed to make according to some guide I saw many weeks ago. Although to be fair, I'm happy with my Health Boost 2 over the Weakness Exploit 2 that I was meant to have on one piece.

I guess I'll see if the Elderseal is an issue with the last one tonight.

Reyes
Rofficer

#134 Post by Reyes » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:07 pm

I've read that Elderseal doesn't actually do anything on the last boss, and he isn't any weaker to dragon damage, so you should be fine. Tremor resistance might be useful if you have it, but I managed without.

Fienasre
Legend

#135 Post by Fienasre » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:16 pm

I managed to hunt Kushala! That was the hardest fight in the game until now. He carted me once, a nasty stun combo very early in the fight, but I managed to win after 44 minutes. Using 3 different weapons intensively showed me that the choice of weapon and thus playstyle has a lot of influence on how "easy" the fights are. If I had used my Bow instead of Sword/Shield it would have been smoother, imho.
│o_

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#136 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:26 pm

Yeah that's probably true. I did read that Kushala probably shouldn't be fought with an Insect Glaive but I guess that didn't stop Reyes.

I beat the final boss first try. Seems weird to be complaining about success but I do wonder if the last monsters should have been more of a challenge. I presume the proper challenge comes later.

Anyway, that's not to say that the final boss was rubbish. I found it quite epic and was fitting as the end boss.

Reyes and I did a couple of tempered versions of easier bosses which were pretty straightforward. And then failed at double tempered Bagels.

Finished my armour set. The one that was supposed to help me finish the HR game. Already miss my Health Boost level 2. 30% HP is just too huge. I would get it back with gems, if I had any HP gems at all..

I think I finally understand what gem tiers are. Previously I was left wondering why a tier 2 gem only gave +1 rank of a skill. I still don't see how to know what tier gems can be put in an armour slot. Other than learning what the icons look like. Or looking on the internet. Or going in to the set decoration screen and seeing which gems fit, which doesn't help until you actually crafted the armour.

I saw ages ago, someone gave some advice to always use points rather than money if there is a choice. Well, I'm constantly out of research points. And have about 500K in cash. So it sounds like duff advice. But Ruri for example, is completely the opposite, so I guess it'll work out fine eventually.

And finally, what's with the unskippable end credits? I told Rev they were 15 minutes but that's probably an exaggeration, but I bet it was more than 15 minutes all together with the final ending cut scene plus the end credits added together.

Reyes
Rofficer

#137 Post by Reyes » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:22 pm

I mean, it is just looking at the icons, but it's not hard. Count the triangles at the bottom of the icon: 1, 2 or 3

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#138 Post by TroyBlade » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:38 pm

I'd probably have to get up and move closer to the tv..

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#139 Post by TroyBlade » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:25 am

So I did the quest you get after the story has finished - kill 2 tempered Bagels. And then, that seems to be it.

I think there is 1 more quest you get at level 49. And one more still at 100.

But for now, all I have to do, is wander around on expeditions in the hope that I find enough tempered monster tracks to get investigations? I've found one so far. For Polomolomolo. So I've killed that 4 times, as you do. And, do some more wandering around I guess?

It doesn't help itself by adding weapon augments to the game, AFTER you killed the tempered versions of the elder dragons. So only when there is REALLY nothing left to do.

Oh well, I guess I'll take a look and see if I can do some trophies and hopefully find some more investigations. I haven't even done all the Grimalkyne quests yet.

Other than that, learn some more weapons, I suppose.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#140 Post by Revolver » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:54 am

Or... you could move on to the next game? ;)

When's Far Cry 5 due again?
Stealth is an option.