Slay the Spire

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
TroyBlade
Rofficer

Slay the Spire

#1 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Thought I'd stop cluttering the main post..

Run history tells me that it took me 12 tries to get the You Are Nothing achievement. (Kill a boss on turn 1) This was done by playing at normal difficulty and deliberately trying for it, rather than trying to win. And I abandoned a couple when I reached floor 3 and got Time Eater.

Note that Well-Laid Plans was useless once I got the Runic Pyramid. Also Noxious Fumes and Catalyst are useless for this achievement, they just helped me get to the final boss. The final boss was the first fight after I had removed enough crap to go infinite.

To be honest I'm not even sure I was infinite. It was a bit hard to tell. Obviously you want a concentrate or a Tactician for this job, (or a Setup to go with the Sneaky Strike) but for me I think the Sundial relic was enough. My gut feeling is that I was infinite. I had 6 mana. Was at 3 when setting up and ended up with 5.

Next stupid achievement to get is the Minimalist. (Finish up with a 5 card deck.) Will probably try with Ironclad just for the variety.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Reyes
Rofficer

Re: Slay the Spire

#2 Post by Reyes » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:32 am

Sunday's daily was pretty wild. I ended up with upgraded Seek in my opening so I could fetch Aggregate + something else and basically go off on turn 1; if not a turn 1 kill then setting up enough block to be invincible for the rest of the fight. Then the last boss was Time Eater, but I managed to perfect it anyway. Ended up with a score in the 900s. Definitely could have been more ambitious in taking on fights once my deck was set up
"Now all we need is some mood music...like whale songs"

Glombeard
Legend

#3 Post by Glombeard » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:35 am

i eventually bought StS too.

i played it for a while yesterday. i guess i should ask for advices for a newbie. for now it looks like the third char is the easiest to play with.
What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both? A bit of both!

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#4 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:52 am

I'm not a fan of the dailies. Maybe if the scoreboard worked but probably not then. Maybe if you could do achievements, but I understand why you can't. Maybe when I'm done achievement chasing I'll go back to them.

I think that if your life depended on a class to get you to Act 3, I agree The Defect is the easiest. But if your life depended on beating the game, then it's probably the worst choice. (That could be because I've played it less so understand it less.)

My Defect winrates are way above the other two. But it's because I played a lot of games when I was rubbish, before The Defect was released.

Plus I'm about 30 losses in a row with Ironclad chasing the minimalist achievement at the moment.. Maybe I won a couple of tries to be fair.

I could post the guide that I started writing. It's not finished yet though.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#5 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:16 am

How to Slay the Spire.

The following advice applies to beating the game from regular difficulty all the way up to Ascension 15. The aim here is consistency.

There are other ways to play; The most obvious is going for a high score. But since you will need to ascend to level 15 to achieve those high scores, then this advice still applies.

In General

I really started having better results when I forgot all about trying to build a deck using an archetype that I knew worked. Instead, I pick cards that I know will help me beat what is coming next.

So let's talk about what's coming next..

There are normal fights, elite fights and boss fights. And they are different on each act.

Act 1

On A15 you will take some chip damage from normal fights. I really used to prioritise a route that gave me question marks over normal fights for this reason. I don't do that any more. I will actively seek out normal
fights over question marks, until my deck has the tools I need to beat the Act.

So what are the tools I need to beat normal fights? Burst damage is the most valued.

Something like a single backstab and you have just beaten all the Act 1 normal fights.

You also want to be able to beat Act 1 elite fights.

These are much more troublesome. You can definitely lose your run to Gremlin Nob or Lagavulin.

The issue is that if your defence is good (and by this I might say, you have a Footwork as Silent or you have a couple of Shrug it Off as Ironclad, or a couple of Frost orb cards as Defect) that's not going to help with Gremlin Nob.
You need to be somewhat damaging for Lagavulin too.

ImageImageImage

So to consistently beat Act 1 elite fights you need some damage as well. The backstab you picked earlier isn't going to cut it.

These example cards might not be enough on their own but I just give them as examples of a little bit of damage that will help you with Act 1 elites;

ImageImage

ImageImage

(Between Zap, Dual Cast and this, I don't want any more damage as Defect. Although I'd probably take a couple of them if offered.)

And finally you have the Act 1 Boss fight.

Here you are likely to need a balance but depending on the fight, your deck will want to be slightly different.

Slime Boss

If Slime Boss is your Act 1 boss, then you should prioritise burst damage so you can take as much HP as possible when you split them. A source of Vulnerable is good for this. If I'm Ironclad, then I will prioritise upgrading Bash for example.

The Guardian

For The Guardian you are likely to want to be a little more defensive.

Sources of Weak are great.

But The Guardian does have a mechanic that wants you to be able to do some damage. After he comes out of defensive mode, you have 3 turns to take out an increasing amount of shield (not really a shield, just a dmg counter) before he hits you pretty hard.

To be honest, I don't prioritise burst damage for The Guardian in the same way as I would for Slime Boss because a) the fight is easy until the end and you can probably take one or two of those big hits no problem and b) you can sometimes beat those hard moments with a single fire potion.

Hexaghost

Similar to The Guardian, you want some defence. But for Hexaghost, STR debuffs are the best.

Weak is still good.

And Being able to discard or better still exhaust cards at will, is an advantage.

An upgraded True Grit is a priority for me as Ironclad when I have hexaghost. (It's also a good card in general.) As The Silent you are often likely to have ways to discard cards.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#6 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:16 am

So Act 2 has the same challenges as Act 1 of course, but they are different.

With a bit of luck, you got an energy relic from the Act 1 boss fight. That alone is likely to be enough to beat the normal fights.

There are 3 possible elite fights. They are all dangerous if your deck is bad.

The worst imo, is the Gremlin leader. It's so bad, and so important to kill his minions so that he doesn't have 2 minions at the end of your turn, that I will actively try and add AoE to my deck if I don't have any.

ImageImage

I'm not telling you that these are good cards, but like I said at the very start of the guide, you take what you need to beat what's coming next.

The Book of Stabbing is one of the big reasons you don't want a small tight deck. There are plenty of fights like this in the game where you can end up filling your deck with status cards. More on that later. But yeah, tough fight, incoming damage that increases over time. And if you don't block everything, it fills your deck with wounds. STR debuffs are great.

The Slaver and slaves or whatever they are called.

If you can burst down the one on the right very quickly, the fight is fine. If you have offensive potions, I recommend using them. If you can't, you can definitely lose here. If your deck is small, I might go for the middle one 2nd. But usually it's the left one 2nd.

The Act 2 boss fight is probably the place where I die the most, I reckon. I fell like if I can kill the Act 2 boss I might not really be very far away from killing the Act 3 boss already.

This is mainly due to the fact, that for the Act 2 boss, you really want to have some sort of damage that ramps up over time.

Obvious example for Silent is Noxious Fumes.

Note that Noxious Fumes is not going to cut it against The Champ. The Champ will remove all debuffs on him half way through the fight, plus massively buff himself. You cannot kill The Champ with Noxious Fumes alone after this point. But the others, the fumes and maybe a Deadly Poison is fine if your defence is good.

Another example of damage that ramps over time, is Spot Weakness.

This can be awkward to use sometimes, especially if you didn't get an energy relic. But I'm just making the case that a single card, even one that's not super AMAZING, can provide enough damage to kill bosses.

If you get the Bronze Automaton as your boss, you have a decision to make. If your deck has some absolutely crucial piece of synergy, you might want to consider making sure you have enough burst damage to get it back from the Bronze Automaton's minions. Other than that the fight is easy, but be aware that he does massive damage, but only every 3 or 4 turns. I also think he doesn't start that massive damage for the first few turns of the fight.

The Collector. Not much to say other than he should be easy enough. Don't bother killing both his minions. He will just resummon them. Killing one is fine though. Saves a little incoming damage and forces him to take a turn to resummon them.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#7 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:16 am

Actually, I don't have much to say about Act 3, except for the bosses.

This is largely, because I tend to ignore the elite fights.

If my deck is great, then sure, I'll take elite fights, but usually it's not worth the risk. I might have a deck that's good enough to beat the final boss but might lose to Giant Head. Or the double Orb Walkers.

So about the final bosses. They seem to be not especially more deadly than Act 2 bosses, except for the fact that they can have mechanics that really screw over your deck strategy.

So, you have Time Eater.

It's a hard counter to a Silent Deck that cycles through itself casting many spells each turn. Or another Silent Deck that has shiv synergies But if your deck isn't doing that, it's just another Champ.

Then there's Donu and Decu or whatever the other one is called.

This is a hard counter to tight decks that can't exhaust cards. if you have a large deck with decent damage, all the burns won't clog your deck and you can kill one of them before the damage gets too much.

Then there's the Faceless One.

This is a hard counter to Defect decks that are filled with Powers. (He gets a STR buff for every power you cast).

But except for the 2 adds, he is yet again another Champ.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#8 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:17 am

Ironclad Guide

Ironclad is the class I think I'm most comfortable with. It's my worst win rate I'm sure, but I bet it's the best at Ascension 15.

Obviously Ironclad benefits from good relics as you'd expect, but it has game winning synergies with its cards rather than relics.

Ironclad usually wins by ramping up your Strength. The easiest way to do this, is by Demon Form. If you have a Demon Form, you can just forget about the need to add cards that do damage to your deck. You can win with a couple of Strikes. This lets you focus solely on your defence.

The next best way to scale STR, is to have some way to get that first bit of STR, and then use upgraded Limit Break.

ImageImage

You can't always get one of those, so you need alternatives. Spot Weakness I mentioned earlier. Inflame is a good card but it's not going to win the game for you, even with a few of them.

Rampage isn't AMAZING but sometimes you don't get anything AMAZING so you work with what you can get. Rampage and Headbutt can win the game for you sometimes.

ImageImage

A completely alternative way to win, is by blocking them to death using Body Slam.

which can win you the game easily if you have Barricade that we saw earlier, and Entrench.

But yeah, normally the STR plan works fine enough. It can be hard to block sometimes, but we have the starter relic to help sustain our health. And even when our defence is not good, we can heal up huge amounts of HP with Reaper.

Honourable mentions;

Feel No Pain is awesome. Ironclad has lots of exhaust cards.

True Grit we spoke about earlier, is awesome. Lets you remove status effects from your deck. And lets you thin your deck to make it better as the fight goes on. You picked a Cleave earlier to help with Act 2? Get rid of it.. etc.

The Dead Branch relic is awesome and synergises with the above 2.

Corruption is awesome. Synergises with the above 3. It might be awkward to use at the start of a very long fight (unless you have a dead branch) but for later in a boss fight, and for every other fight, it's just wins the fight for you.

The Snecko Eye relic is awesome. Lets you pick a lot of great high mana cost cards. For Ironclad, surely the best relic in the game.

Disarm is awesome. Wins the Act 1 boss fight on its own.

Flame Barrier is awesome. Doesn't really fit with the need to scale damage up for Act 2 Boss and beyond but can get you to that point on its own. Sort of. And still helps after that.

I recommend an early Uppercut and/or Clothesline and/or Shockwave for your Weak needs.

Battle Trance and Offering are awesome.

Shrug it Off is fine. Happy to have several.

I don't mind an Anger or 2 in my Ironclad deck. It's rare to be able to have enough energy

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#9 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:17 am

Silent Placeholder

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#10 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:17 am

Defect Placeholder