Slay the Spire

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
TroyBlade
Rofficer

Re: Slay the Spire

#11 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:23 am

In General

The first thing I do when I start, is check the map. In Act 1 (and Act 2 actually) I'm trying to find the best path that gives me 3 Elite fights. Elite fights are not the only consideration - I might take only 2 Elite fights if my route has extra bonfires and an extra late shop for example.

I also like, if possible, to have a bonfire before my first elite fight. I think that's counter intuitive to how I used to think. I used to want an elite fight with a bonfire after it so I can heal afterwards if it didn't go smoothly. That's definitely wrong. I want to upgrade a card before my first elite fight. Likely Bash for Ironclad, Neutralise for Silent and well, hopefully I found something else already for Defect but if not, I think I probably upgrade Zap.

I used to like going to early shops. I never bother any more. Spending your starter money on removing a card is usually a mistake. And having enough money for a relic that you want is usually impossible. You can sometimes buy a decent card sure, but I can find a decent card from a normal fight instead.

Building Your Deck

Once again, as I said at the start, add stuff to your deck that you need at the time.

If your first fight on floor 1 offers you an Acrobatics..

The card is fine enough. It can even be AMAZING. It might turn your deck into an infinite draw and energy machine by synergising with other cards. But you stick one of those in your deck in Act 1, you are just asking for trouble. It's almost certainly a dead draw you will never use when you only have 3 energy and no way to produce more.

More examples..

A great card. You can build your entire deck around it if you get one early. I used to snap pick this every time I saw it.

Now.. if I get this in the first couple of floors. I actually pass. I don't want a dead draw in my deck. Maybe towards the end of Act 1 I start considering it. Even if it's a card that I won't play yet, it's not that many dead draws at this point.

A useful tool, is Spirelogs.

https://spirelogs.com/stats/ironclad/tierlist.php

Basically, this tells you how "good" a card (or relic) is based on a number of parameters but mostly, whether the card is present in decks that won the game.

It's not the definitive guide as to whether you should pick a card. It's hard to score a card based on synergies you might have with other cards, relics, where you are in the game, etc.

But let's say you are starting out and you're not sure if frost orbs are any good for The Defect. The answer is yes, Glacier is the highest scoring card for Defect, regardless of rarity.

I think I'll end by simply restating the main point. Don't try and build a deck type that you like. Build a deck, with plenty of cards so that when you get status effects put in, it doesn't dilute your deck effectiveness too much. And include all the tools you need to beat the challenges ahead.

A checklist:

You need defence. Your deck with enough damage to kill most enemies on turn one is unlikely to have the same results against the bosses.

You are likely to want some source of Weak or STR debuffs by the Act 1 boss.

AOE for Act 2.

By the Act 2 boss, you should have a plan for ramping up your damage over time.

Spend Act 3 improving the things you already put in place for the Act 2 boss. Whilst being mindful of the mechanics of the Act 3 boss that you got.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#12 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:57 am

Added the guide for Act 2.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#13 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Added Act 3.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#14 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:06 pm

Finished the In General Guide.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#15 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:24 pm

Added the Ironclad guide.

Glombeard
Legend

#16 Post by Glombeard » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:36 pm

my first question is how big my deck has to be. i mean i realized i can't just add anything to it and the only way to remove card is at shops (isn't it).

should i add more than 3 copies of same power, skill, attack card?
What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both? A bit of both!

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#17 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Like I said in the guide, personally I'm a fan of bigger decks.

It may mean that you are much less likely (maybe makes it impossible) to end up with a deck with an infinite combo where you kill everything on turn one. But the guide is meant for consistency in winning, not how to achieve the best deck possible, occasionally. A bigger deck has one major advantage, when you are facing an enemy that is putting status effects into your deck.

You can remove cards sometimes in certain events (question marks).

There is also a boss relic which lets you remove 2 cards. IMO not especially useful unless you are going for Minimalist achievement. Or maybe the turn 1 achievement.

And there is a regular relic which lets you remove cards at rest sites (instead of resting or upgrading.)

As for 3 copies.. it all depends on your deck and which card. If I'm Silent, and I'm lucky enough to get 3 copies of Footwork. I would absolutely take the 4th one. (And win the game, thanks very much.)

A great card like Disarm, would I want 4 of them? Maybe, but only if my deck was really big.

I can't think of many cards like that though.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#18 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Attempt ~45 at the Minimalist achievement. Best try so far..

You could look at the Madness cards and curse the Madness event, but to be fair, without them I wouldn't have won. (Because you need a 2nd dropkick.)

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#19 Post by TroyBlade » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Got Minimalist around attempt 55.

I never found a Shrug it Off in the whole run, so i had some scary moments in fights with multiple enemies, not being able to block. I also got Time Eater. Which is really not you want on try 55. But it was ok. I probably could have done about 200 more damage before dying, so it wasn't very close.

So, ~55 runs.

Number of times I got the Peace Pipe relic: ZERO. I mean, obviously I wasn't targetting elites. Not even when the deck was small and I had a dropkick. So I wouldn't expect to see many peace pipes. But you'd think I'd get one or two in shops and chests.
Number of times I got the 2 dropkicks and 1 shrug it off needed to go infinite: 4 times. Only one of those was a win.
Number of Times I got my deck down to 5 cards: 5 times, including the last time. I had a 4 card deck on one occasion.
Number of times I definitely would have won if I hadn't gotten the Madness Event in the 3rd Act: Just once.
Number of times I might have won if I hadn't gotten the Madness event in the 3rd Act: 3 times.

Next achievement should be easier. I think they all should be easier to be fair. 10 shivs in one turn I think.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#20 Post by TroyBlade » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:53 am

I think I did the 10 shiv achievement first or 2nd try.

Since then though, I've been trying to get the channel 9 plasma achievement. In about 10-12 attempts, my best effort, is TWO.

In those attempts, I have seen ZERO Meteor Strikes.

At least with this achievement I'm not tanking my win rate.