Welcome, Traveller (Official No Man's Sky Thread)

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

Welcome, Traveller (Official No Man's Sky Thread)

#1 Post by Revolver » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:29 pm

Thought I'd split this out from Oblivion. Not sure how long it'll last, but you never know.

Anyway, I think I broke my main quest line. I can't get past the "Put fuel in your Hyperdrive" quest. Each time I do that it just says I need to get another antimatter from the guy, so I do that bit again, create another warp core, refuel my Hyperdrive, and I'm back in the loop. My drive is completely full, and I have a spare Antimatter in my inventory, but no idea what else to try. I've tried going into Fien's game (hey Fien, that was why I snuck in earlier today without saying hello), but still nothing.

Hope I don't need to restart. I just got myself a sweet new 24 slot ship, and a 15 slot multi-tool which I've added some nice upgrades to.

What's the best way people have found for getting Nanites? Just from scanning new stuff? That's tough when I can't use my hyperdrive. :)
Stealth is an option.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

Re: Welcome, Traveller (Official No Man's Sky Thread)

#2 Post by Revolver » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:02 pm

I solved my issue. Woo. I'm free to explore again. I had to dismantle my Hyperdrive and rebuild it. Working like a charm now.

Also, remember I was taking damage when shooting asteroids the other night? Well that's a known bug in 3rd person view in the ship. Switch to 1st person to resolve.

So nice to have these two niggles out of the way. Now if I could only connect to the servers to upload my discoveries, I'd have about 600 nanites coming my way for discovering all of the life forms on the few planets I was able to explore.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#3 Post by TroyBlade » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:36 pm

This was the same issue as I had, when I had to buy a new ship.

So obviously it's nice to know that I can just get a new hyperdrive instead of a new ship, since I can't afford a new ship..
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#4 Post by Revolver » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Found a big dude.

Stealth is an option.

Fienasre
Legend

#5 Post by Fienasre » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:26 am

Big dude in an awesome looking desert. Glad you were able to fix it! And sneaking in wasn't really possible with the big blue marker over your head.

Where did you find a new multi-tool? I'm still stuck with that shittty starter one without combat capabilities.
What do you use nanites for anyway?
So many questions...
│o_

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#6 Post by Revolver » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:42 am

You can find a new multi-tool on every space station. Over near the appearance changer, there are three vendors selling upgrades and blueprints. One is for Exo-suits, one is multi-tools and the other is for your ship. You use Nanites to buy those things. The Exo-suit vendor has the suit slot thing behind him, and the multi-tool guy has a new tool for sale in a cabinet on the wall to the left of him. Some of them are CRAZY expensive, but you can get a decent one (12 slots, or so) for about a million. Each space station vendor sells a different one.

I progressed with the main quest a bit this morning, and got 1,500 Nanites as a reward for *something*. Going upgrade shopping later.

Had an AMAZING find last night. It was a 48 slot wrecked ship, probably worth 100 million or something new, but around 90% of the slots and components were critically damaged. Anyway, I repaired the Pulse Drive only, which didn't really cost anything, and now I can fly it and it has a 29 million trade value. I just need to find the right ship to trade it for now. Spent an hour looking at ships and haven't found THE ONE yet.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#7 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:44 am

The trading stations you find on planets, the little ones with a couple of guys,not the 6 landing platform ones, also sell a multi-tool. I only have a 10 slot, which cost me about 700k.

I couldn't get past the hyperdrive bug, so saved up a little money and bought the first rubbish ship I could find (which was actually an upgrade, but ugly as hell).
Fienasre wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:26 am
without combat capabilities.
What do you use nanites for anyway?
Well, coincidentally...

In the trading stations, the little ones and probably on space stations, you can find technical officers. They sell you tech blueprints. Which cost you nanites. One of those I bought, was to upgrade my multitool with a proper weapon.

When I'm out trying to "farm" for money. I get a lot of nanites by opening damaged thingy pods. And from buried salvage thingies. In fact, those 2 things are how I make money. Rob showed me how to make money from Whispering Eggs last night. Which might be a faster way. Surely is. But just exploring, I do get plenty of money, and nanites, and the occasional blueprint. Plus while you're out there, knowledge stones. Crashed cargo (which is rubbish until you get the Atlas Pass). Buried somethingorother. Anyway my point is that I'm not going to stop doing all that and switch to egg farming.

Fienasre
Legend

#8 Post by Fienasre » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:48 am

Lucky son of a gun! That is the best find you can have, right there. Well done. Is credit transfer possible between players? :ninja:
So... the right side of a space station (when stepping out of your ship) is the AMAZING upgrade side. Why did I never talk to the chaps in their booths I wonder... Me so stupid.

Thanks btw... now I want to go home and play a bit before I forget all of this information.

Have you done any base building after you left for the stars?

Sooo... you guys fully explore planets and dick around on them for hours? I leave asap because I want to see more planets. I left behind several awesome planets too soon, come to think of it.
│o_

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#9 Post by Revolver » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:54 am

I've fully explored a couple of planets, because you're supposed to get decent Nanite bonuses for that, although I've not been able to get that to work. For some reason it says I'm not connected to the discovery servers or something. Usually i just hop from planet to planet though.

And yeah, I only did the egg farming to get my first ship and multi-tool. It's not a fun way to play.

Apparently if you get the scanner upgrades you can make a lot more cash just by scanning. Might look into that when I'm next online. I'm working from home today, so might hop on at lunchtime for a bit.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#10 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:00 am

@Fien sorry missed you by "a moment ago". You need to play later!

I kind of saw how much money Rev made when he found the derelict ship and decided that was clearly the way to make your first 10s of millions. But it's not working out that way.. I think my last 6 navigation data uses didn't even send me to a ship when following a distress call, never mind a ship that would net me millions.

If it's any measure of anything, I've been playing for 15 hours, which is the same amount of time as I played the first time I played, before quitting. And I'm definitely not thinking of quitting at all. Even though, the gameplay is pretty much identical as to how I remember it.

Actually it's not totally identical, I had some space battles last night. I don't think I did last time. I got a milestone for destroying 5 ships and then died.. I haven't made a single combat upgrade to my ship though. Definitely need to look at that but I really do have a temporary ship (which I've had for hours now). Actually, I suppose my ship might have awesome combat upgrades already, for all I know. (I doubt it.)

Ooh Rurikhan video about how to make money in NMS. brb!