Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

Re: Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

#28661 Post by Revolver » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:41 am

We've got people over this evening, but maybe not too late so I should be able to get on at some point. I'll do what I can!
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#28662 Post by TroyBlade » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:34 pm

$450 for that DS box set.

Could be quite late tonight as well.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Fienasre
Legend

#28663 Post by Fienasre » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Well, you know where to find me :ninja:. I guess I will play some Oranges or Division until then.

Blegh, want to go home but I am in the middle of an experiment.
│o_

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#28664 Post by Revolver » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:17 am

Sorry, not going to make it. Just got rid of our guests, but I’m falling asleep. Hope you had fun!
Stealth is an option.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#28665 Post by Revolver » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:13 pm

So this weekend I watched about 900 hours of Overwatch. My son played it at a friend's house, and then decided he HAD to have it (and had a bunch of Game store credit burning a hole in his pocket). Anyway, it actually looks quite fun. It seems really simple, but with a lot of variety. Not my thing at all, but I could see the attraction.

I didn't get around to playing anything or watching anything myself, as we have my in-laws staying with us for a few days. Should be back online by the middle of the week, hopefully.
Stealth is an option.

Fienasre
Legend

#28666 Post by Fienasre » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Overwatch looks cute and easy but the learning curve is ginormous. The intricacies, tactical decision making, positioning, character choice and skill levels are insane. Maybe your son would enjoy to watch the matches that have been played last week. The Overwatch League (OWL) season 1 has kicked off. I haven't watched anything myself, yet, but apparently the matches were great to spectate.
│o_

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#28667 Post by Revolver » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Heh, that's all so far over his head it's a non-issue, I think. Although probably really frustrating for anybody he ends up in a group with. He just enjoyed shooting the red guys and defending his bases, etc.

There's a Blizzard Arena thing right next to our offices in LA. I've just checked and they're holding the current Overwatch tournament there when I'm going to be there next. Hmm... might be worth going to see, even though I wouldn't have a clue what's actually going on.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#28668 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:50 pm

I watched The Snowman. The critics didn't like it but the trailer looked fine and I thought how bad can it be from the director of Let The Right One In?

It's fucking terrible. There is so much jumping around different scenes and different characters, people who add nothing to the story, or they have weird motivations, or they are integral to the story and we hardly see them, and what the fuck were they thinking with Val Kilmer... Yeah, no, don't watch this. Maybe give it a 3 because of the nice landscape shots and music which was good enough to appreciate that it was good.

The best thing I can say about it is that it didn't follow the law of Bones.

I watched What Happened to Monday. This wasn't all that either. There was some potential but sadly the 2 twists were telegraphed from the very start. And there was a segment in the middle with some real unintentional laugh out loud moments. I'm not great at spotting twists so you too will spot them, and they lower the experience down to a 5.

I watched Discovery 1.10ish. So they revealed the thing. Didn't really care. Still watching anyway.

Haven't watched X Files 11.2 yet. I might not bother.

New Mutants delayed by 10 months. That can only mean reshoots surely. Looked like something different in the trailers. Oh well, it can still be different..

Speaking of reshoots, I didn't realise that Solo is out in May! Haven't seen the tiniest teaser yet have we?
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Fienasre
Legend

#28669 Post by Fienasre » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 am

Awww cool. Going to the Blizzard arena for OWL matches. I managed to watch two matches last night. Boston v NYC and London v Florida. I was able to follow the chaos a bit even with my limited knowledge of the game. The match consists of 4 games. Always in the same order: Payload, Capture the point, Control (king of the hill) and Hybrid. And each game consists of two rounds where both teams get to attack and defend. Control is a bit different because both teams have the same goal of being the King. So it's a best of three in rounds.
Basically means that everyone's favorite type of game is in the roster. Though each game-type has several maps to pick from and I don't know how those are chosen (Maybe by the teams themselves or picked by the OWL?). Anyway, it was awesome to watch. I really liked the short rounds and games. It feels like 90 minutes of footy action are crammed into each round of about 10-15 minutes. With all the different rounds played that seems a lot of value if you know what you are watching.
Though the learning curve for watching is probably a lot higher than with a footy match.

I like it!
│o_

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#28670 Post by Revolver » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:00 pm

Cool, it does sound interesting. I'd have to watch a LOT more before it makes sense to actually pay and go and see it, though. Although really I'd just be going for the experience, more than the actual sport (much like Baseball!).

Killed another dragon on the train this morning. Can't be many more left. :)
Stealth is an option.