Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

Re: Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

#28811 Post by Revolver » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Welcome back indeed. We’ve definitely missed you around here.

That’s a LOT of games. :) I really don’t know how you keep track of that lot. I struggle to switch between two.

Enjoy the London trip! Hopefully the rain will hold off for a few days for you. It’s been rubbish lately.

Played a bit more Wipeout VR over the weekend. Properly AMAZING experience.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#28812 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Hey Kelo. No need to be sorry about not posting. But nice that you did.

I have Until Dawn. Never played it. I have the other ones. Like, SOMA. The Evil Within. You, know, those ones. Never played them either.

I have no idea what The Nonary Games are. Now I've googled it. And still have no idea.

The Witcher 3. I wish I was better at it. Maybe I'd give it another try. I'm just so bad at the combat..

Sea of Thieves. I watched Eurogamer play some. Looks so very bad. Not for me. But I wouldn't be surprised if they added so much to the game over the next few years that it ends up pretty good.

Didn't play much of Darkest Dungeon. Can't remember why.

I just googled Factorio because once again, I had no idea what it was. Is that like the highest review scores of any video game ever?

Slay the Spire, I'm playing more than HS. And I'm still bad at it. I win about 30% of the time with The Silent. And rising. I think I have several workable strategies now. But the Ironclad? Forget it. I win about 7% of the time, I think. And there is only 1 strategy that has ever worked for me. And that's to get STR buffs and the card that heals you when you deal damage (to all enemies). You;d think that it would be easy to build a deck that abuses armour gain and runs 1 or 2 copies of Body Slam, but nope, it just never works. I've got pretty close doing that a few times, when I've also included something (anything) that lets you exhaust cards, for the encounters where they fill your deck with status cards. But nope, not a single win with that strategy. Ascension mode is kind of difficult. I've stopped trying until I get better at it. The Daily Climb is fun sometimes though.

Surprised to not see Monster Hunter on your list. 200 hours for me so far. Obviously I quite like it..
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

shindarak
Guild Master

#28813 Post by shindarak » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:56 pm

so everyone has a PS 6.3 or a XBox XX....well now I have a mini C64!! now thats some old-skool stuff

https://thec64.com/
"Do it with style, or don’t do it at all." -Jazz-

"Come back you cowards! I'll bite your legs off!!!" -de-limbed black knight-

Fienasre
Legend

#28814 Post by Fienasre » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Hey Kelo,

I did wonder where you had gone. Glad to have you back and heading upwards again! It's been a couple of rough weeks for me as well. But after a proper session of self reflection and again figuring out that I am pushing to bloody hard I think I found the path up again.

But... I have one big issue. I haven't got a game I truly WANT to play right now. Monster Hunter was great but the grind became sour. Far Cry 5 started off fun but I get irritated by the combat now. So I come, yet again, at the point of being bored. Thus... I need something that can be loved in small bits and longer weekend sessions. Something not too intensive, because I am still in a shitty physical position.

Any ideas? (not WoW, I tried it some weekends ago and it didn't work)
│o_

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#28815 Post by Revolver » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Have you tried Fortnite, Fien? I suck so badly at it, but still enjoy it. You’d probably be really good at it.
Stealth is an option.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#28816 Post by Kelodur » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:47 am

Thanks everyone for the kind words! It's good to be back :D.
Fienasre wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:58 pm
But... I have one big issue. I haven't got a game I truly WANT to play right now. Monster Hunter was great but the grind became sour. Far Cry 5 started off fun but I get irritated by the combat now. So I come, yet again, at the point of being bored. Thus... I need something that can be loved in small bits and longer weekend sessions. Something not too intensive, because I am still in a shitty physical position.

Any ideas? (not WoW, I tried it some weekends ago and it didn't work)
I don't know if it is your cup of tea, but when I want something relaxed that I can enjoy in longer sessions too, I usually go for a 4X style game or for a strategic game of sort. If you haven't tried it yet, Total War: Warhammer is easily one of the best games EVAH. And you can buy the first chapter for peanuts and see if you like it and then double up in the investment by getting all the additional races and the interlinking second chapter. X-Com is another great game that deserves to be played (both the first and the second game). If you want something more traditional, Civilization is still worth its weight in gold, and if you're tired of that format Endless Legend does everything to change the template and make it more complex and nouanced. If you want something more... exotic, Disgaea is available both on PC and PS4 and its one helluva ride with tons of charm (and grinding).

For shorter game sessions, Slay the Spire is a great little card game that takes max 45/60 minutes to complete. Stardew Valley is great for a 30 minutes session and for a long weekend too, it's a little charming game about farming that is actually HUGE behind its 16 bit aestethics. Unexplored is one of the best roguelikes without being a roguelike. Duskers is just like Alien, but you're not there but you're just guiding robots remotely, and it just OOZES atmosphere, or maybe not, since it is all played in space. Space Chem is still probably the best "look at what I've just done!" puzzle game out there. Stephen Sausage Roll is still the best "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...I'VE GOT IT!" puzzle game too.

I could go on for hours. Honestly, there's far more interesting games in the indie universe now compared to the AAA games.

Oh, and there is always Guild Wars 2 if you want to try something different from WoW. I still find it perfect to relax. And it's free.
Troy wrote:Surprised to not see Monster Hunter on your list. 200 hours for me so far. Obviously I quite like it..
I didn't get MH because it is still full price, and I already have a big, long game to play on my PS4 (The Witcher 3). I will definitely love it from my experience with the previous installments, but I'm waiting for a sale purchase cause I'm in no hurry, and it's a game that will last me months, so...

Battletech is being released in two weeks. Now that's a game I am really DROOLING to play...
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

Glombeard
Legend

#28817 Post by Glombeard » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:01 pm

i bought Divinity: Original Sin 2. i'm not playing it. i'm not playing anything at all.

i have to face it, i don't like to play PC games anylonger... mmmm maybe a darksoul game would do the trick...

on TV - Cinema side:

i'd like to go and watch "a quiet place" (it just landed here in italy)
still looking forward Solo, inifity war, DP2

i've almost finished watching the whole "how i met your mother" in english.

Yesterday night Martin Freeman was in Lucca for "Lucca film Festival Europa Cinema". My oldest Kid wanted to go and get a picture with him but it was raining heavily and him with his friend gave up..
What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both? A bit of both!

Reyes
Rofficer

#28818 Post by Reyes » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:05 pm

I saw A Quiet Place. I thought it was awful
"Now all we need is some mood music...like whale songs"

Glombeard
Legend

#28819 Post by Glombeard » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:08 pm

was it? then i might save money and time for else!

and i forgot to say i watched "The Titan" on netflix and it was terrible.
What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both? A bit of both!

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#28820 Post by Revolver » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:26 pm

TroyBlade wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 3:11 pm
I think your game might be State of Decay 2.

Not on PS4 though. We'd need Bones..
So this is out in about a month, and still looks interesting. It's still not quite what I wanted from my dream game, but it's pretty close. But I don't even own Xbox Live Gold these days (like, for about 3 or 4 years), and my Xbox is in the other room, and none of you lot would get it anyway.

There. Convinced myself I shouldn't get it. That was easy.

Stealth is an option.