Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
shindarak
Guild Master

Re: Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

#27961 Post by shindarak » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:34 pm

I didn't like Valerian much. Very meager story, didn't like the music, childish actors, not much 3d effects that added anything.....loved the colors though.

Toniths it's Baby driver....really looking forward to that one!
"Do it with style, or don’t do it at all." -Jazz-

"Come back you cowards! I'll bite your legs off!!!" -de-limbed black knight-

Glombeard
Legend

#27962 Post by Glombeard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:03 am

i'm at episode 6 of Jessica Jones. i'm still bit scared of watching all 4 series before the end of the summer!
What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both? A bit of both!

Kelodur
Rofficer

#27963 Post by Kelodur » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:01 am

Hello, hello, hello.

Not much time to write anything at the new job. Things are quite hectic around here. Well, until today, since now basically the production is closed and I'm in the office basically just catching up with, well, stuff. Good news: it's a blast. I'm loving the new job and it really gives me the chance to make the difference, which help immensely with my self esteem. Yay me! I guess.

I was alone at home so no Until Dawn in the last couple of weeks.

Horizon is still good. The map has just opened quite a lot, but I love the fact that there are not too many quests to get you sidetracked. But, hey, I'm mainly still playing it because it looks incredible, and that somehow compensates the fact that it is, at heart, exactly the genre I usually enjoy less (i.e. Ubisoft style open world).

Played The Division. It's still fun, and boring, at the same time. I'd so wish they wouldn't fill the game with mandatory side missions. And playing main missions with strangers feels like playing bad strikes in Destiny. I don't know, I always end up feeling like I'm missing something crucial to my enjoyment of the game when I go back to it. Oh, and I've got the season pass, mostly cause I wanted to try the survival thing, but I've yet to figure out how to play the survival thing.

Resubbed Final Fantasy XIV and loving the time spent there so far. I've got my Thaumaturge to lvl 30, and then, remembering the old requirements for Black Mage, I've got up to lvl 15 on the Archer class, only to discover I didn't need the Archer at lvl 15 anymore. I now just need to do a couple more class quests and I will finally graduate as Black Mage. Too bad I've discovered I love playing the archer more than the Thaumaturge, but hey, life isn't perfect. Still a great game and one I should have played definitely more.

Played level 6 of Dishonored 2 and, again, it didn't disappoint. And I loved all the teleporting enemies homing on me just to face the explosive greeting of a mine or a grenade. I left a mess in there. This run of mine has basically turned to a kill 'em all, high chaos one. Still playing around a lot of stealth, but I'm enjoying setting up traps and killing people a lot. I wonder how it would be had I gone for a full stealth route. Nothing beats the feeling of linking several enemies to my clone and then killing my own clone though. It's almost like having the Death Note in hands :D.

Bought Wipeout from the summer sales, and lovin every second of it. But, I don't know if I'm become rubbish in between, it's FREAKING HARD at times. I struggled to get a pass in a 2048 race where I need to finish 5th or better. Seriously? I'm that bad? Bah. Still, just arrived to my first "B" speed class race and boy it's already so FAST. The only complain I have is with the colours. Was the game so much coloured back on the PS1 too? I didn't remember the level to have so many colours, but maybe it's just my memory at fault. Sometimes it is oh so much coloured that I struggle to see where I'm going. Still, it's the best racer of all times and there's no denying it. Fuck Sony for closing Psygnosis. They made some of the best games I've ever played (Menace!), and they didn't deserve this sad ending.

I also got Polybius in the summer sales and it's a fine example of Jeff Minter doing a Jeff Minter. I'm planning to do a full immersion to get decent at it one night. I often feel like that, unless you get to the point when you start playing the game without thinking, it's really hard to get into Jeff Minter's game. Being "in the zone" is the only option to survival.

Tried the Shadow Tactics demo on PS4. It's GREAT. No, it's AWESOME. Ticks all the Commando boxes right and then some. But it's not a game I'd play on the PS4. Will get it on PC sooner or later, possibly later since I still have to try all the games I've recently bought in the summer sales.

Which brings me to Planet Coaster. Ok, it's more or less a Roller Coaster Tycoon clone, but the level of customization it gives you it's outstanding. Designing roller coasters is still as fun as it was back then, and if you have the time and patience you can actually attach them to a specific theme and make them look exactly like you imagine them to be. It's making me willing to delve in the modding scene and try to make something bad for it (no way I can do something good, I suck at designing cool things). All in all, if you loved RCT, you just HAVE to get this.

The International 2017 is running and I'm not watching it. I actually tried but couldn't find the love for Dota anymore. YAY! I'VE BEEN SAVED!

TL;DR: I've played tons of different stuff. A lot of good games. My plans for playing to completion one game at a time are out of the window.

Thirteen reason why is heartbreaking and I couldn't watch past first episode. Read the rest of the story online and I'm happy I didn't watch it. I wouldn't have able to stand it.

Started watching Castlevania last night. First episode was quite bad. Still, it's only 4 episode long right? And it got renewed, so maybe it gets better. Maybe.

Painted 3 new Primaris Marines and 3 MkIV Marines. Really proud that I've started painting again and the results weren't half bad. The new Warhammer 40k really got me pumped up.

Went to the mountains with my son, only the two of us. It was a fantastic experience. And we did camp in our backyard, with a tent and camp cooking and everything. I'm feeling like I'm at least half a decent father after all this work. Hope it will be enough for my son as he grows up.
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#27964 Post by Revolver » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:06 am

So much Kelo-content! :)

But yeah, Wipeout is crazy hard in places. I've had to repeat races several times just to get a pass, let alone a gold medal. I've still got a lot left to do, too. It's also really good online... had some cracking races. Any Psygnonsis? It was always The Killing Game Show on the Amiga for me. And Beast, of course.

I've still not tried Polybius, even though everybody says it's the best VR game. I'll probably grab it when it's in a sale.

Grats on curing your DOTA-dependency, the new job, and the mountain trip sounds aces as well. All good stuff!

We watched Batman Begins and The Dark Knight this weekend. Not sure whether or not to leave it there, or watch Rises as well. I know it's not as good as those two, but I've not seen it for ages, and it'd be good to complete the trilogy. Don't tell anybody, but I think I prefer Begins to TDK now. Shhh.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#27965 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:14 am

Did you start with Jessica Jones Glom? I would watch them in order if possible since there is a little crossover. Not much, but not much reason to watch them out of order either.

Great news about the job Kelo.

Obviously he can tell you better than I but I'm pretty sure I heard Rev struggling with a race or 2 on wipeout in party chat.

Personally, I've been playing Elite Dangerous. A lot. Actually last night was the first night since I got it where I was online and decided not to play any. (Although I had already played for about 4 hours in the morning/afternoon.)

We watched King Arthur and the legend of the cockneys. I mean who thought it would be a good idea to give that film to Guy Ritchie? And I mean why did Guy Ritchie think it would be a good idea to put totally out of place cockney gangster comedy scenes straight out of Snatch or Lock Stock into that film? For weird 5 minute bursts at random places? Still, it wasn't completely unwatchable, just weird. 5 for me.

I've decided that I don't want to die of heart disease before I'm 60 so I've been dieting and running. Sorry, "running". Fuck me it's hard to run at my age and weight and with my bad back. Anyway early days but the weight is falling off. So much so that if it stopped for 2 or 3 weeks I wouldn't be downhearted at all. I'm way ahead of schedule already. I thought I'd mention this since if people know I'm doing it, it's less easy to quit. I should fat shame myself on Facebook really.

Edit: Rev posted - see, Wipeout isn't easy.

Also TDK. You watch it and it's incredible. Then over time, you think about it, and it morphs in your mind into a pretty sweet comic book film. And then you watch it again and nope, it's still incredible.

It's also better than Begins.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Glombeard
Legend

#27966 Post by Glombeard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:29 am

meh... i thought Jessica was made before Luke....can't switch now i'm quite to much into her story.

i would possibly give less than 5 at King Arthur revisitation....i'm still loving Excalibur for several reasons (merlin first of all, photograpy, many scenes, lots of quotes) although the silly wrong historical period armours they wear...
There's another Arthur movie i like...well i don't like it very much, but i really love the novel from which it was made (The Last Legion, Valerio Massimo Manfredi).
What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both? A bit of both!

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#27967 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:33 am

Yep Jessica Jones is before Luke Cage. But it's after Daredevil season 1.

I wouldn't be surprised at anyone who gave King Arthur less than 5. It's not like a Spiderman Homecoming 5 faux pas or anything.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#27968 Post by Revolver » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:36 am

TroyBlade wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:14 am
I've decided that I don't want to die of heart disease before I'm 60 so I've been dieting and running. Sorry, "running". Fuck me it's hard to run at my age and weight and with my bad back. Anyway early days but the weight is falling off. So much so that if it stopped for 2 or 3 weeks I wouldn't be downhearted at all. I'm way ahead of schedule already. I thought I'd mention this since if people know I'm doing it, it's less easy to quit. I should fat shame myself on Facebook really.
Grats! This is awesome. For me it's the hips, rather than the back. I run, then for 3 days afterwards I walk a bit funny and it hurts like hell. That's why I only run when I can't ride. Not sure if it's an impact thing or what, but the bike is usually pretty painless (apart from when I fall off, which I don't tend to do when running).
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#27969 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:57 am

Back in the day, I definitely found running on a treadmill to be much easier than outside, because of the impact I'm sure. You also had the added bonus of being able to time your trips to the gym with live sports on the tv.

I live in a little village with 1 shop but even our village has a gym. I just don't want to pay for it when all I want to do is run. And they don't have proper footy on their screens either.

I've been thinking about a rowing machine. Cheaper than a treadmill. No impact. Can avoid the Scandinavian winter. And can watch tv while doing it. Not really sure where I'd put it though.. (In front of the tv duh.)

Also, I've done some rowing before and I never got the endorphin high that I got from running. I do hope that comes back when I get better at it, it was awesome.

Glombeard
Legend

#27970 Post by Glombeard » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:03 am

So JJ is over, definitely not for kids!

now i'm on episode 2 of DD. let's see how it goes.