Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
TroyBlade
Rofficer

Re: Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

#28261 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Wait, maths fail. Bottom 2%. Woohoo.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

shindarak
Guild Master

#28262 Post by shindarak » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:42 pm

If my weight loss suffers, I don't think it matters. Being fit should be the priority, since once I'm running proper distances, the weight loss should be pretty much guaranteed.
You will learn to love running! It will spiral like a mad monkey, once you are hooked to it. During my divorce period i could run pretty fast (was in top 10% (of my age segment) of any competive run I competed) and lost 20 kilo's in less then three months, making me even faster, since i didn't have to carry that extra weight :ninja:
I ran three days a week and when i finished one training I was already busy with the next one.....Endorfins (they create the "runners-high") are Tha Bomb! 8)

So keep at it T! You will get there. But don't rush it. It took me 6 months to be able to run for 30 minutes without rest and 3/4 year to run for an hour straight! (training twice a week).

But that was 3-4 years ago. After a long period of not running, I realy should pick it up again. B.t.w running with others helps as well (it did for me anyhow) :hehe:
"Do it with style, or don’t do it at all." -Jazz-

"Come back you cowards! I'll bite your legs off!!!" -de-limbed black knight-

jeym

#28263 Post by jeym » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:56 pm

Totally agree not to rush running, Troy. You will see improvement then a plateauing in terms of times but general fitness will go up and up. Running is rewarding like that - but don't expect too much too soon.

As for Strava segments, I always think of the survey we covered for work last year. British people doing regular exercise are the minority.

You're moving a hell of a lot faster than people on the sofa.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#28264 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Actually I've already experienced these things. I ran before, I just quit for 13 years. And I totally agree.

11 weeks since the sofa, I've lost 18kg and I'm running 5k in 35 minutes. Which is slow, but I'm still fat.

Everything would be going perfectly, except I have this dead leg thing that means I'm not running at all right now, hence starting on the bike. Which is hell, I hate it.

I've read even more internets. I wish everyone stopped disagreeing with everyone else but my thinking, until the next thing I read at least, is that I should be eating carbs after running, not before.

Eating carbs before, improves performance, but I'm not trying to beat anybody. Eating carbs after, helps with recovery.

My current thinking is that I've been running again too soon on a leg that has had no carbs to help rebuild the muscles.

But I'm just guessing, because like I said, nobody can agree on anything in the diet and fitness world online.

It's probably because different things work for different people, so everyone thinks they are right even though they are all saying different things.

jeym

#28265 Post by jeym » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:04 pm

so everyone thinks they are right
ha, so true. Personally, proper stretching afterwards and food afterwards is the way to go. But you're not wrong if that doesn't work for you.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#28266 Post by Revolver » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:22 pm

Stretching afterwards? What is this madness?

I only recently started stretching before in an attempt to sort out my hip issues. I need to look into this stretching thing properly. Or just stick to the bike.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#28267 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:29 pm

I only have/do 2 stretches. I'm pretty sure neither of those would have any benefit to your hips.

But yes, I do them before and after running.

Only before, when cycling. For some excellent reason that I can't think of right now.

jeym

#28268 Post by jeym » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Whatever works for you but I've always been advised not to stretch cold. That is to say, if you step out your door and start stretching, you could pull something. A little jog to get warm, or whatever, then a stretch - try that.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#28269 Post by TroyBlade » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:19 pm

So I went out on the bike in little to no wind.

All that did is make it so that no matter which direction you go in, the wind is in your face.

I did make it up to 504th place on the segment that should be named "stupid windy road" but even so, I just hate cycling so much.

I think I might take some time off and try and heal instead.

Fienasre
Legend

#28270 Post by Fienasre » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Have you seen the weather forecast this weekend! If it stays this way, ofc.
│o_