Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

Re: Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

#28291 Post by Revolver » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Oh, that’s gonna be a fun trip home then. Can you get the train at least, or is it easier to drive?

Glad you’re on the mend!
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#28292 Post by TroyBlade » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:44 pm

The travel insurance company is sending an ambulance for me. No idea when though. I think it's coming from Germany. But really, no idea if it's left or what's happening.

Also, if you visited you probably wouldn't know what to think. I can't really speak in complex sentences. Which is much better than the nonsense words I was using yesterday..
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

shindarak
Guild Master

#28293 Post by shindarak » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Hey troy, good to hear you are doing better. I wanted to come tomorrow. I'd like to see you. Its only a short drive for me.

Feel free to decline, if you are not upto it.
"Do it with style, or don’t do it at all." -Jazz-

"Come back you cowards! I'll bite your legs off!!!" -de-limbed black knight-

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#28294 Post by Revolver » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Don’t kid yourself, Troy. You’ve never been able to speak in complex sentences. ;)

Give us a shout if you need anything. Otherwise we’ll leave you in peace to get yourself home and well.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#28295 Post by TroyBlade » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:04 am

Sorry Shin, I won't be here for you to visit. Leaving soon. I thought you probably weren't very far away..

And have a nice end to your trip Rev. You could have come on Friday but Mrs Troy got the visiting hours all wrong. I missed the Argentinian steaks. Bummer.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

shindarak
Guild Master

#28296 Post by shindarak » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:09 am

Have a good trip home and take your time to fully recover! :D

Next time you are in Holland let me know. We can meet up and eat steak or lettuce (if thats your cup of tea)..... :ninja:
"Do it with style, or don’t do it at all." -Jazz-

"Come back you cowards! I'll bite your legs off!!!" -de-limbed black knight-

Reyes
Rofficer

#28297 Post by Reyes » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:07 pm

get well soon Troy
"Now all we need is some mood music...like whale songs"

Kelodur
Rofficer

#28298 Post by Kelodur » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:52 am

TROY! What you doing mate! Please, please take care of you. Stop this bike nonsense and just stay home and relax.

Quite sure Rev can heal you with some uber heal. We only need to kill him first and then you're set.

Take care mate, a big hug from Italy!
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#28299 Post by Kelodur » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:13 pm

I've played Fortnite Battle Royale for an hour or so. Most of the times I've died in the first minute or so after launching from the Flying Bus, usually to somebody that managed to grab a weapon before me. When I managed to get a weapon myself though the game was really fun. It's so tense as you move from building to building, trying to find more stuff to use and not getting killed in between, and the zone gets smaller and smaller really fast, making the experience very frantic. The main problem I see is that actually the game is just too fast for its own good now: it gives you just too many weapons, it doesn't really allow you to afford the time to farm materials to build your own refuge (I did, once, but by when I was done the barrier was already coming at me...), it's just like playing a game with your finger firmly pushing the fast forward button. I've once got in top 25, and then got killed by a guy that lured me into a trap. It felt fantastic. The game surely has a lot of potential, and I can definitely understand why everyone is raving about Battleground right now. Would I pay for this game? I don't think so. But as a free diversion it's really great.

On PC I've been playing more of Endless Legend, and I'm now 178 turns into my first game. And I've just discovered I can customize my units. Yay me for being completely dense. All in all, I'm loving it, some parts of it work better than others (war in example is generally much more interesting than in most 4X games, while technology is really as generic as it can get in the basic game), but I found myself speaking to myself more than once, usually as the voice of my king, which means I was completely taken by this game. Can't recommend it enough if you're into this kind of game.
There will be bad days. Be calm. Loosen your grip, opening each palm slowly now. Let go.

Kelodur
Rofficer

#28300 Post by Kelodur » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:15 am

Went to see Blade Runner 2049 yesterday. While it's not a great sequel to Blade Runner, it's a very good standalone movie. It's a movie that's more concerned about life, love, legacy and what defines you as a human being that with anything else; it has a layer of political undertones that doesn't really get developed that seems to be more tied to the original source material, and is quite a failure as a noir / police story. It feels more like a sequel to Arrival than to Blade Runner, unless you count the incredible photography and looks of the movie. I found the depiction of the future a little bit hit and miss, with some of the places being really a nice addition to the ones shown in the first movie, while Los Angeles is definitely less interesting than the one Ridley Scott imagined 30 years ago.

There are two three things however that were quite horrible:
1) The soundtrack, while somehow decent, it's so loud and badly placed that for most of the movies I was hoping it to cease assaulting my ears. The sound editing wasn't really any better and I was really puzzled by how bad the audio was compared to the photography.
2) The product placement in the movie is so blatant and direct that it hurts. This cringes even more when compared to the original, and ruin the atmosphere of a city made almost alien by the lack of identifiable trademarks (or even writings using our alphabet). Sony is all over the place, but you are also forced to enjoy Coca Cola (!), Peugeot (!!!), Johnny Walker advertisement, just to name the most bad. Atari makes a BIG appearance too, even if it doesn't really look as out of place, maybe because of how alien the trademark is by now, and because Atari is the only product I think you could recognize in the first movie.
3) Jared Leto.

Just like with Arrival, it's hard to judge this movie on a first screening and without letting it sink a little bit. It can drag at times, but everything definitely makes sense by the end of the movie, and it actually gives you the right amount of time to ponder on all the questions it makes you. I never was thrilled, but never bored either. I suspect this will be another movie that will rise to cult status in the future, even if I feel that both Arrival and Children of Men tackled the same subject with a better final result.

??/Mad Max, but definitely don't miss this.