Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

For Oblivion. And some other stuff, I suppose.
Glombeard
Legend

Re: Oblivion - Topic Of The Year Edition

#29221 Post by Glombeard » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:44 am

i've just read they canceled DD on netflix.....
What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both? A bit of both!

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#29222 Post by TroyBlade » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:16 pm

DD is clearly the best of them and it sort of confirms that it's a political decision rather than a quality or viewer count decision to cancel all of them.

People seem to assume that they will all just end up on Disney+ or whatever it's called. But I don't see it happening;

"Subscribe to Disney+ so you can see the 4th season of Daredevil" is one way of looking at it.

"Watch Daredevil s4 (watch seasons 1 through 3 on our competitor) now!" is another.

Anyway, we watched..

Finally saw The Cloverfield Paradox. Probably left it this long because of Glom's mini review. And I can't argue with that review. (I can't really remember it to be fair, but I remember he said it was not good.)

It's definitely not good. But it's not as bad as I was expecting. Except for the terrible ending.

I think it would have been better without the stupid
Spoiler!
"we've broken reality" stuff. Like, the animated arm. And the gyro being in the Russian's stomach.

They should have just started with some weird subtle stuff. Like, why is this here? Why do I have a photo of a kid above my bed that I don't recognise? And then stepped it up when they find the extra woman. And worked it out from there.

No need for the worms ending up inside someone.

We also watched Hold The Dark. Also on Netflix.

I actually liked this one. It seemed like it was going to be the same film as the one with Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye (am I rememberring that right? Hawkeye was in it?).

But it was very different than the trailer suggested. Jesus Christ, one scene in particular.

Anyway yeah, watch Wind River, not this. But watch this if you already saw Wind River and are bored and need something else..
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#29223 Post by Revolver » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:44 pm

We finally watched another episode of Maniac. The seance one. Still enjoying it, but not enough to watch it regularly. It's pretty odd.

With the Disney/Marvel stuff, I don't think it'll be a case of DD S4 appearing on Disney. I think they'll do something different with the characters on there, though. To be honest, I couldn't care less. I've only watched S1 of DD, and I think S1 of Jessica Jones. I won't be subscribing unless the Star Wars stuff turns out to be AMAZING.
Stealth is an option.

Glombeard
Legend

#29224 Post by Glombeard » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:55 pm

i've watched BrightBurn trailer. it looks like an interesting change to the superhero movie point of view.

i really hope that's going to be a good one!
What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both? A bit of both!

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#29225 Post by Revolver » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Yes! I saw the trailer over the weekend. I love the way it riffs on the Man of Steel trailer. Very clever.
Stealth is an option.

Glombeard
Legend

#29226 Post by Glombeard » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:08 am

i watched The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. i found it really good.

years ago i read the book, but story is not quite the same.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#29227 Post by Revolver » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:52 am

I've still not watched that. It's been on my list for ages. Maybe something for Christmas week.

We watched Aquaman, which was a lot of fun, and nothing else at all. I really don't know where this weekend went.
Stealth is an option.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#29228 Post by Revolver » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:04 pm

I'm about to disappear for meetings.

5 is...
Spoiler!
Tangled

And Reyes got 3, which is:
Spoiler!
Private Benjamin

So I think we're just missing 6.
Stealth is an option.

TroyBlade
Rofficer

#29229 Post by TroyBlade » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:38 am

Merry Christmas folks. Hope you had a good one.

We watched Aquaman. It was entertaining enough, in parts. But it was a pretty bad film really. The start especially, was scene after scene of exposition. I can't really explain it but the film didn't flow properly.

And why do filmmakers of these sorts of films keep trying to have 2 villains. I found Black Manta to be unnecessary and simply a bit shit.

Jason Momoa was great. I will still watch the next one.

I give it a 6.

In other news, Into the Spiderverse is dubbed in our local cinema. I could probably find it in English in Copenhagen, but I doubt I will bother.

I was also thinking about the year in cinema as a whole. I think it's been terrible. Maybe it's just that last year was so good. But it can't just be that. I think Infinity War is the only film in the whole year that would have made it into last year's top 10. And conversely, a film like Split, which didn't make my top 10 last year, would have been like number 2 on the list this year.

I'm not even sure I can think of 10 films to put in a best of list. But ok, I will try.

Infinity War
Upgrade
Bad Times at the El Royale
Annihilation
Venom
Err, Fallout?
A Quiet Place?
Deadpool 2
Hotel Artemis
Ready Player One

Most of those are 6s and 7s..

Maybe Black Panther is better than some of those. But I can't really remember Black Panther, so maybe not.

Disclaimer:

I have not seen:

Into the Spiderverse.
If Beale Street Could Talk
BlacKkKlansman
Hereditary
Roma
Leave No Trace
Creed 2
Bohemian Rhapsody
Tully

It's possible that those 9 and Infinity War are the proper list, for all I know.
You killed John Wick's Dog's Human, and that human was John Wick.

Revolver
Guild Master (Retired)

#29230 Post by Revolver » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:53 pm

I enjoyed Aquaman a lot more than you, but wholeheartedly agree on the two bad guy thing. The bug guy was completely pointless.

It’s been an odd year for film. There have been some excellent films, but not always the kind of things I’d watch often (Mandy, The Endless). My top films of the year (in no particular order) are:

Infinity War
MI:Fallout
Spider-Man ITSV
Annihilation
Ready Player One

Honourable mentions have to go to these, because I enjoyed them a lot (and some were far better the second time around), but they wouldn’t feature any other year:
Deadpool 2
Game Night
Solo
A Quiet Place

But yeah, more AMAZING films next year please.
Stealth is an option.